extra IDE hdd in sata machine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

808Alaska

In Runtime
OK so i have a computer that im trying to install an older IDE HDD to so that i can see it as an extra HDD. Im currently boothing the machine off my newer 160GB sata HDD. I attached my old 200GB ide HDD and for some reason its not coming up in (My Computer) i can see it in disk management but it doesnt give it a drive letter so im guess that is why its not showing up im my computer. Is their anything special im supposed to do to make it show up in my computer and be accessible? ive tried making it a slave and master but that didnt help....... thanks for all the help in advance. :big_smile:

Ok but what if i already have data on their that i don't want to delete? is their anyway to hook it up to my machine without having to reformat?

and the weird this is that i also hooked it up to a usb 2.0 external slave and it still didn't show up in my computer.

Is it possible that it has certain policies that i have to remove in order for it to accessible?

What was this old drive connected to and what was the OS on it?

As Hef said you need to activate the drive and formate it to NTFS. At that point you would lose any data on the drive.

The drive is from my old machine and it has XP on it and it is already NTFS. But i havent given it a drive letter. how do i go about doing that?

You did not have the option to change drive letter?

How to assign a drive letter
To assign a drive letter to a drive, a partition, or a volume, follow these steps:

1. Log on as Administrator or as a member of the Administrators group.
2. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Performance and Maintenance.

Note If you do not see Performance and Maintenance, go to step 3. Performance and Maintenance appears in Control Panel only if you use Category view. If you use Classic view, Performance and Maintenance does not appear.
3. Click Administrative Tools, double-click Computer Management, and then click Disk Management in the left pane.
4. Right-click the drive, the partition, the logical drive, or the volume that you want to assign a drive letter to, and then click Change Drive Letter and Paths.
5. Click Add.
6. Click Assign the following drive letter if it is not already selected, and then either accept the default drive letter or click the drive letter that you want to use.
7. Click OK.

The drive letter is assigned to the drive, to the partition, or to the volume that you specified, and then that drive letter appears in the appropriate drive, partition, or volume in the Disk Management tool.

How to change drive letter assignments in Windows XP

Ohh.... ok i think i just wasnt in and administrator account. Would using the vista hiddin admin account work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom