External USB Drive works then freezes

Status
Not open for further replies.

ish303

Beta member
I decided to buy a an external USB drive to back up my files and opted for a 1TB external drive that had its own power supply.

Initially the drive works fine, it appears in my computer and looks OK, but after about 30 seconds it just hangs and I can't do anything other than switch the power off.

I have managed to copy files to it and I am able to navigate the directories before it then locks.

My PC is a bit old and I read that some can have problems with USB2.0 devices when using the motherboard USB ports, so based on it solving someone else's problem I bought a PCI USB2 card. This hasn't fixed my problem though. The card seems to be working fine as I have plugged my USB printer in and its fine.

Any suggestions? The only thing I can think of is to try a buy a new cable (I'm using the one that was supplied with the unit).

The company I bought it from are happy for me to return it and exchange for another unit, but I'm just a bit concerned the problem might be with my setup and potentially replacing it might not help.

Yeah, I had several USB cables go bad. I'd go to monoprice.com they have cables for everything, and at a cheap price.

Try it on a friend's computer, and see if it works alright.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom