External HDD Mac issue - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 06:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
The Ghost

Default External HDD Mac issue

Hey guys. Due to me being one of the more Tech Savvy people in school the teachers that teach my classes usually ask me if they have an issue. Now this I got really stumped by. My teacher has a 500 GB External HDD that works fine on her windows 7 Dell laptop. However when she goes home and plugs it in to her mac book it says the drive is read only. Now I checked the Drives properties and it's all clean no read only. So is there anyway to solve this. The drives format is NTFS naturally due to it being a large drive.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
Private Joker

Default Re: External HDD Mac issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke127 View Post
Hey guys. Due to me being one of the more Tech Savvy people in school the teachers that teach my classes usually ask me if they have an issue. Now this I got really stumped by. My teacher has a 500 GB External HDD that works fine on her windows 7 Dell laptop. However when she goes home and plugs it in to her mac book it says the drive is read only. Now I checked the Drives properties and it's all clean no read only. So is there anyway to solve this. The drives format is NTFS naturally due to it being a large drive.
And that is exactly the issue. Macs don't support NTFS without enabling it Snow Leopard, or getting a separate utility to read/write to NTFS.
NTFS On Mac Tutorial

So 2 options:
enable read/write support on the Mac for NTFS with one of those utilities listed
-or-
Format the external drive to FAT32 instead of NTFS. Be advised, if you format it to FAT32, you won't be able to have a single file larger than 4GB in size, since FAT32 doesn't support large files.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
Old 05-24-2012, 07:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
The Ghost

Default Re: External HDD Mac issue

I don't think she has individual files bigger than 4 gig but I will check