External HDD Mac issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

luke127

The Ghost
Hey guys. Due to me being one of the more Tech Savvy people in school the teachers that teach my classes usually ask me if they have an issue. Now this I got really stumped by. My teacher has a 500 GB External HDD that works fine on her windows 7 Dell laptop. However when she goes home and plugs it in to her mac book it says the drive is read only. Now I checked the Drives properties and it's all clean no read only. So is there anyway to solve this. The drives format is NTFS naturally due to it being a large drive.

Hey guys. Due to me being one of the more Tech Savvy people in school the teachers that teach my classes usually ask me if they have an issue. Now this I got really stumped by. My teacher has a 500 GB External HDD that works fine on her windows 7 Dell laptop. However when she goes home and plugs it in to her mac book it says the drive is read only. Now I checked the Drives properties and it's all clean no read only. So is there anyway to solve this. The drives format is NTFS naturally due to it being a large drive.

And that is exactly the issue. Macs don't support NTFS without enabling it Snow Leopard, or getting a separate utility to read/write to NTFS.
NTFS On Mac Tutorial

So 2 options:
enable read/write support on the Mac for NTFS with one of those utilities listed
-or-
Format the external drive to FAT32 instead of NTFS. Be advised, if you format it to FAT32, you won't be able to have a single file larger than 4GB in size, since FAT32 doesn't support large files.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom