External HDD Always ask to be formatted upon connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

GByte

Baseband Member
I have a Maxtor 200GB PATA133 External HDD. I had it in the original casing but the connector was bad which caused it to register only in device manager. i tested it out and it still worked so i then got a new casing for it. after using the hdd for a while..i tried to connect it now and it it says i have to format it before using...but i dont want to delete all the data
is there any hope for this or should i call it quits

Go into device manager and find the drive, see if it is marked as RAW, if so, then the data is gone, but there is a chance that you can pull it, there should be software out there to rebuild the partition tables, I am just unsure of any names.

I'm not sure which section to find if its marked as raw but what i gathered in properties section:
General: device is working properly
Volumes(After i populate it):
-Disk: Disk1
-Type: Basic
-Partition style: Master Boot Record (MBR)
-Capacity: 194480mb
-Unallocated: 6mb
-Reserved: 0mb

I tried updating the driver and it says its up to date
When i try to access it from computer it says its unaccessible, the file directory is corrupted and unreadable
Where do i go from here??

You will need to access the Administrative tools under Control Panel, then, go to disk managment, it will list the drives there, and the file system they are using.

I found it and unfortunately its marked as RAW so ill format the disk...thanks again for the help

Sorry that I couldn't have been of more help, but it's sad when a drive is marked raw like that, but strange things happen, sorry you lost your data, I know the feeling, awhile back I lost a bit over 1TB worth of data, drive was marked RAW, just came outta no where to.

oh dam thats crazy...it funny thought, but at least the drive is reusable after formatting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom