External HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirCyber

Daemon Poster
Thank you for taking your time to read this thread.
I have an external hard drive that I recently attempted to encrypt, however the encryption software I used did not work properly. I am using Comodo for many different applications recently, including Comodo Disk Encryption. I had it configured to both use a password and a USB drive *as a USB key*. Toward the end of this, the software had a malfunction, if memory serves me correctly, something about the encryption software itself having a problem.
RESULT:
1) the disk did not become encrypted, it became corrupted, as did my USB key. I have no problem at all just doing a complete format on the key, however I am more than unwilling to format the external. nutshell, I want the data, and badly.
2) When booting up my computer, it now asks for a password *immediately after the encryption this started* before loading the windows kernel, as if my laptops hard drive itself was encrypted. after a week of testing things, however, I need neither the password NOR the USB key, I just have to hit [ENTER] and it loads windows as normal. I'm not concerned with this, it's just an odd part of the story.
WHAT I'M ASKING:
Data recovery software. I used to have some but I don't remember what it was. Now, rather than go out and google the software and completely jumbling this important data on my external, I'm looking to you guys *there's several people I will take recommendations from just on the principal that it's that particular person* for some good software. The software I used before did a raw data pull and recompiled it as the second phase of the program. if there is something like that that is recommended and relied upon, as well as being stable and not having much data loss, then that is what I am looking for.
Thank you once again for listening to my issue

Hey I read your thread closely and you have 2 close, but tough choices:

Recuva - Undelete, Unerase, File and Disk Recovery - Free Download
I heard this thing does it job properly and then some but I haven't tested out fully because I almost have no use for it.
Give it a shot and see what happens.....

or......
Acronis True Image - Data Recovery, Hard Drive Data Recovery, Data Recovery Software
try acronis data recovery suite it cost money but I have used this quite abit and it saved my hide a few times when working on a few clients pc's thy screwed up by accident...

I will vouch for Recuva. It's the best I have found. I was able to FULLY recover a drive that was almost dead. (Died 3 hours after using the software.) It will recover all sorts of files too, I had ISO's, applications, images (pictures), text documents, videos, and was able to recover all data that I wanted. 13,000 pictures only took about an hour to recover. ISO's, and applications took the longest due to their size.

Recuva comes up with an error "Unable to read boot sector" and I don't know if I want to pay for something that may or may not work for me... I think that since I was trying to encrypt the data that the data will have an odd corruption

*****ADDITIONAL DATA*****
Ok, ran Acronis trial, doesn't have a way to recover anything either. Thank you both for the suggestions, but neither is working

Sounds like you need to recover the partition table. These programs should help you recover that. The recovery software won't be able to recover the files if they're not seen. A few commercial products would be able to do everything you need to recover. TestDisk will also allow for you to recover the partition table, and recover the files. It's freeware.

Free:

Testdisk - TestDisk - CGSecurity
Partition Find & Mount
Free DTIData NTFS Partition Repair Tool

Commercial:

Diskinternals Partition Recovery (Demo)
Active@ Partition Recovery
Bootmaster Partition Recovery
ZAR Partition Recovery
DIY DataRecovery DiskPatch
Partition Table Doctor

none of those free options are working, further discouraging me from purchasing additional programs. Teskdisk simply cannot rebuild the boot sector, and it cannot identify the NTFS format. Partition Find and Mount cannot find any partitions at all, and simply put, the Free DTIData NTFS Partition Repair Tool couldn't find the drive at all. All of those seem like EXTREMELY handy tools for my toolchest, but none of them are helping me at the moment. I have run nearly every test in nearly every configuration.

my apologies for the double-post, but does anyone know a raw data pull program? I'm not worried about recovering partition tables or boot sectors, I just want the data, with a recompiler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom