External HD not reconized

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigmgoode

Solid State Member
I have an exteranl Hard Drived that works fine with my desk top computer and on my laptop it says device installed but I cannot see the drive in the computer window. If I go to manage drives it is also not there. I only see the "C" dirve and the CD drive.
I have went to gateway and think i have all the current drivers for USB and I am up to date with the Microsoft Updates. Both computers have Vista.

Any thoughts?

Start>Right click select Manage>then select Disk Management. Is it assigned a drive letter? If not right click and change the drive letter or assign a new one. It should show up then.

When I go to Disk Management I don't even see the external drive listed. On the desktop it the drive works fine. I'm sure it's not the drive I'm thinking driver but can't find the driver for the USB on the Gateway site for this computer.

If it isnt recognized in the Disk Management then that is the problem. If it is not found there it will never show up under My Computer (Or Computer in Vista).

So either you need to update some chipset drivers on the PC or you need to find the driver or disk that came with the External drive if one did to get it working properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom