external hardware recovery - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 07-14-2009, 06:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

hi i have a maxtor 500 gb external.
and oneday my computer start not to recognize the drive.
i would plug in usb and it never pops anything up on screen or recognize it.
then i petitioned i cant' exactly remember what i did but then it recognized
but asked me to formatt it. now when i plug it in it keep asking me to format it.
and i do not really want to lose that 500 gb worth of stuff that's in there. would i really have to formatt it?
is there anyway i can recover those data? thank you very much

and also when i try to open it with some data recovery programs it only tells me you have selected damaged disk.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Private Joker
Default Re: external hardware recovery

You could try a few things: Run a chkdsk /r on the drive from an XP disc's recovery console (or if you can still get to it in the My Computer window, then right cilck the drive > Properties > tools > Check Now under 'Error Checking' > check both boxes > hit Ok, and it will prompt you that it will have to be done on the next reboot most likely, so choose to do so, and then reboot the PC and let it check the disc).

Or you can try to boot off of a Linux LiveCD and see if it can see the data so that you are able to recover it that way.

Laptop: MSI GT70 2OC-059us | i7-4700MQ | 16GB | GTX 770m | 500GB SSD / 750GB HDD | 17.3" | Win10 Pro
Desktop: 4690k | 12GB g.Skill RipJaws | GTX 970 | 520hx | Z87X-UD4H | Corsair Vengeance C70 | Corsair H110 | Acer 25" | Acer 22" | Win10
Mobile: Samsung Galaxy Note 5

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
Old 07-14-2009, 09:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

hi have done that so and it didn't do anything... grrr and when i go to properties i realized used and unused section both says 0 bytes. do i really have to formatt it like it says? after formatting will i have any chance of recovering any files? than you for your reply it was very helpful
Old 07-14-2009, 09:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Yes you will have to format it. After that there is a chance that you can recover the files. As long as you dont write any other information to the drive before running the Recovery software.
I do not accept support questions via EMail, PM, IM or my G+ page!

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 07-14-2009, 11:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lord Techie
Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE

Make sure you do a quick format btw. Also, if the drive size is still being correctly identified then you're safe. BUT, if the size is incorrect then sorry to say it but you're stuffed.
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 07-16-2009, 08:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

thank you guys so much for the response

Closed Thread