external harddrive wont work

Status
Not open for further replies.

aj2003

Daemon Poster
For some reason since i changed mothereboards to this gigabyte none of my 2.5" external hard drives will work in the front or back usbs. They work fine with a 8GB usb memory stick. The computer picks up that the drive has been plugged in, but then errors saying the device cannot be regonised. It does this for both 80GB drives i have. i know the drives work fine because i regularly use them with my laptop and work pc.

the only thing i can think off that might be causing it is a lack of power from the usb ports, could this cause it? anything else that might be the cause?

Shouldn't be lack of power, since usually external hard drives have their own power source. Do the drives spin up? If so, do they show up in the compmgmt.msc?

Dan

plug the drive in, go to the Device Manager, and to the USB hubs. Browse through them until you find the one which the HDD is connected to. There'll be a 'Power' tab, check in that to make sure the drive is getting enough power if you're worried about that.
It should list how much the drive needs, along with how much it's getting.

Shouldn't be lack of power, since usually external hard drives have their own power source.
Dan

because these are just 2.5" drives they take all their power from the usb port. I installed windows 7 last night on it so ill give them a go in that when i get home.

windows 7 didnt make any difference, still cant pick the drive up. Ive had to copy the video files to my laptop then send them across the wireless network which is taking bloody ages :-(

what did device manager say about the power settings for the usb hub that the hd is connected to?

Sounds like a power issue to me, too. Maybe try it on a different computer first and then see if you can adjust the voltages in bios?

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom