External hard drive won't recognize? - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 08:22 PM   #11 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Re: External hard drive won't recognize?

Quote:
Originally Posted by office politics View Post
untitled-1 doesn't show disk management. i want to see disk management to see how the drives are configured for windows.

right click my computer, click manage, select disk management

Are you still going to help me by trying to get my external to work when you come online, or are you going to give up on me?

I made a screenshot for what you was looking for. It's like in one of my previous posts.

Old 08-21-2011, 08:27 PM   #12 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster

php11, please settle down. Office has not been on since you replied, or he was away. We will get to you when we can. We aren't all here 24/7. Nor is it a job, but pure volunteer.

And I am unsure what he meant by his post, so I did not reply to his questioning. Give him slack.

Old 08-21-2011, 08:34 PM   #13 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE

It's not showing up in Disk management at all, which means the enclosure could have failed.
Try using a different USB cable to connect the drive to the PC. Sometimes the cable is too thin/long and doesn't supply enough power. Pick one that looks short and bulkyish, or use a Y cable (two USB ends plug into your PC but merge into only one end to connect to your drive).
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 08-21-2011, 08:46 PM   #14 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by S0ULphIRE View Post
It's not showing up in Disk management at all, which means the enclosure could have failed.
Try using a different USB cable to connect the drive to the PC. Sometimes the cable is too thin/long and doesn't supply enough power. Pick one that looks short and bulkyish, or use a Y cable (two USB ends plug into your PC but merge into only one end to connect to your drive).
It's my only cable I have. I have the one that looks like a cat cable on the end, and it plugs into the enclosure. The other end, it has a cat end and also a USB. I have the USB piece plugged into my PC. I can't describe it any better.

I have the eMachines EL1200-07w
Old 08-21-2011, 08:51 PM   #15 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Cat cable as in ethernet cable?? Strange.
My bet is the enclosure is bad. I know you said you don't want to open it, but you may have to. It's pretty simple, all it is is a case with a normal hdd inside. If you take the hdd out and install it in your computer, we'll be able to see straight away if the problem is with the enclosure or the hdd itself.
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 08-21-2011, 09:07 PM   #16 (permalink)
Newb Techie

He's another way to describe it. It's large then a cable that goes into the wall jack. You could see the color wires. Attached to that part, there is a USB cable part.

What could of free tools that I can test my HDD to see if it will fail or pass the test?
Old 08-21-2011, 09:11 PM   #17 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Could you take a pic?
Once you've got your HDD installed in the PC you'll be able to see if it's working or not straight away. If it works it'll show up in My Computer, if not then you should upload a screenshot of Disk Management again.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:33 PM   #18 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by S0ULphIRE View Post
Could you take a pic?
Once you've got your HDD installed in the PC you'll be able to see if it's working or not straight away. If it works it'll show up in My Computer, if not then you should upload a screenshot of Disk Management again.
I give up. I put my hand on top of the enclosure to see if I could feel the HDD spinning. It's not even spinning. Could it be that's the HDD is done, so no tools will work?
Old 08-21-2011, 09:42 PM   #19 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster

Take it out of the enclosure, If the drive does not spin, it could be the connector that isn't turning it on. Please let us help you, but you have to try these things yourself.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:48 PM   #20 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I would take it out. There is one problem. I don't have a screw driver, and no kind of tools.

Closed Thread