External Hard Drive troubles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grahto22

Beta member
I just bought an external hard drive off ebay for my laptop as I plan to travel in a few weeks and I wanted a space for all my camcorder videos.

here are the spec's, the problem is below this:

Portable Noontec external 3.5" enclosure with 250GB Maxtor HDD.

7200 RPM HDD

High speed USB 2.0 interface.

Driverless.

Super slim.

Aluminium shell.

Easy installation.

Dimensions: 170 x 110 x 33mm.

External power supply.
----------------------

- Ok here is the problem.
I have Windows Vista, with a brandnew notebook (2 gigs ram, 1.8ghz AMD Turion64 Duel Core, 120gig HDD, 256mb Hypergraphics), and whenever I plug the External into my laptop, it shows that it is installing and searching for the driver.
It says that it successfully installed, then it makes the sound like I had unplugged the External or turned it off, and it never shows up in My Computer, but it shows up in Device Manager for about 30 seconds then disappears when windows makes the sound like I just unplugged the USB from my computer. It shows up in device manager as Mass Storage Device under the Universal Serial Bus.

I thought that it might of been a problem with my laptops compatibility with my new external hard drive. So I took my external into my office and tried it on my 2 desktops in their USB 2 ports, this time with windows XP Pro and the other with windows XP home. Both had the same deal. Would make the sound like i plugged the hard drive in, show that it has installed, then make the sound like its been unplugged. It never shows up in my computer at all.

I am really stuck, and before I went off and sent it back for a replacement or refund, I would like to see if its a technical problem that I can handle with the twist of a screw driver, or installation of a few programs or drivers.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help. Sorry for the long post, just wanted to make sure i wrote down all the details :)

Have you made sure it's partitioned? When it's plugged in, try right clicking on My Computer > Manage > Disk Management. Look to see if its listed in there. If it's listed under there, but it says its unpartitioned, right click on it at th ebottom, and either format it or partition it, whichever you have to do first. If it's not listed under there...not sure what to tell you then =(. It's getting proper power? The power supply for the HDD is the right voltage/amperage/etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom