External Hard Drive Trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smack

Baseband Member
So I got my WD Black 1TB hard drive today in the post, so I can finally back up my computer, and for some reason it keeps saying I need to format it. So I format it and Windows says "Windows was unable to complete the format." I've no idea what's happening, but it's starting to irritate me that I've waited a week to format, and then it's not worked. I'm using Windows 7 64-Bit if that makes any difference. Any help appreciated.

I did it through the computer mangement yes. What does GParted do? The site that came up via google is about partitions. How is that what I want to do when I need to format the HD?

GParted is a Linux-orientated partitioner. It is more thorough and safer than window's version of partitioning.

I've genuinely got no idea what to do with GParted. I shouldn't have to write a CD for it since I'm not using it on THIS hard drive right? It keeps loading up with NTI Media Maker 8...

I did a full format through Windows, and I get the error that I said earlier: "Windows was unable to complete the format."

Try downloading a Ubuntu Boot CD (Download | Ubuntu)

Boot from it, and when a promp comes up, say you want to run a Demo. Select "Places" on the top bar, "Computer". See if it detects it. If so, try to format it by right clicking it.

Great tutorial, but how do I do it without having to burn it onto a CD? Since I'm not using it on the actual hard drive in this laptop, do I still have to burn a CD and do it via the way the guide says?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom