External hard drive problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have external Drive lock.. it is provided as a built in software on an hidden partition on the drive.What it does is protect the drive from being accessed in the event it is stolen... I had this same problem on several Maxtor one Touch drives after our server went down...
What I did to resolve this was the following...

I opened the external drive case and hooked the drives up to a computer as slave and did a low level format... assigned a drive letter and then put it back in the case... they fired right up...

would you have a link on more detailed information on how to do this? Also i've done a bit of reading and do you think the problem could be anything to do with something called "GoBack"?

i have the same model external drive. mine has begun to turn on and off eratically when i plug it in. when it is not plugged in to my computer it runs fine. on other computers it also fails. could it be the same problem?

The drive sounds fine whether it's pluged in or not - to the computer. I definately stopped working though after i formatted PC

Yes, first open the external case by removing the screws... make note of how it looked so you can remember how it goes back together.. then remove the HDD. Take it and put it in your pc (as a slave) right click my computer, manage, disk management, find the drive, format and assign it a drive letter.. power down pc, remove drive and put back together in external case reboot pc, now plug drive into pc and it should work....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom