External Hard Drive Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberspace

Solid State Member
Hi, i'm currently experiancing a problem with my LACIE 750GB External Hard Drive, when I start up my PC and go into my computer it shows that my hard drive is avaleable and when I go into it and try to open a file it comes up that it's not responding and it doesn't come up in my computer until a few minutes after and then the whole process starts again, i've tried changing the cable from the Hard Drive but that make's no change. Can someone on here please help me as i'm not very technological minded.

Try running a chkdsk on it. Go to My Computer > right cilck the drive > properties > Tools tab > under 'Error-Checking' click 'Check Now' > check both the boxes > hit ok.

I've tried that and the computer stoped reckognising it when it started, I suspect it has something to do wih the connection from the hard drive to the computer as at the hard drive end the cable is quite loose, i've heard of people puting their hard drive in a sealed plastic bag and puting it in a freezer but i'm not sure it would work.

It has worked several times. I never did it myself, but I know some friends that have. Several of them have gotten data off it by doing so.

That's usually a solution when the drive head is hitting the platters, causing a clicking. If you have a connection issue, then the freezer trick won't work.

If the connection is broken, try opening up the external drive and connect it internally.

@Carnage - I was just implying that it does work, not that in this case it will. Guess I should have worded that differently :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom