External Hard Drive Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

golfer1

Beta member
I purchased a Maxtor 3200 Personal Storage 320GB Hard Drive at Christmas 2006. It has functioned perfectly until I went on holiday two weeks ago and accidentally plugged a laptop power suppy cable into the HD as opposed to the HD power cable. The laptop power supply is 19V and the HD power supply is 12V.

Following this, the drive stopped spinning up and the light on the front blinked rapidly.

When I got home, I put the drive into my PC internally and connected it up. However, when I pressed power, the system cut instantly. However, when the drive was unplugged, it worked fine.

Yesterday, I purchased another of the same drives and switched the logic board and the USB-type board that sits between the USB interface and the actual drive onto the original drive. The firmware version stated on the new drive is the same as the original drive.

The drive now powers up and spins up, but when plugged into my laptop in the external casing, via USB, it tried to find new hardware (it is Plug and Play), came up with "A problem occured during installation...may to work properly" and in Troubleshooter says Code 10 error. Device cannot start.

I have tried plugging it externally into my PC and it recognised it as a Maxtor 3200 Personal Storage, then a Mass Storage Device, but hasn't said anything else for a long time, and it appears not to be recognised.

Apologies for the long story, but is there anything you guys can suggest doing to get it to work?

The firmware version on the two hard disks is the same, is there anything else that would matter? The drive has worked on both my laptop and PC previously, but does not require drivers, so it can't be that which needs updating.

Basicaly, i'm stuck.

Long story so I hope I read this correctly.
It just sounds like you fried the hard disk. It has its own logic board as well. The enclosure is really no more than a IDE controller with the ability to communicate over the USB.

Long story so I hope I read this correctly.
It just sounds like you fried the hard disk. It has its own logic board as well. The enclosure is really no more than a IDE controller with the ability to communicate over the USB.

Yeah, i've swapped over both of the boards - both the board under the hard drive AND the USB-board.

The drive is now "operational", but just the computer won't fully recognise it, whereas before the board changes it wouldn't even spin up.

Ok. What you did sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. There is data unique to your hard disk on the board. Even if it is the same model number, things like firmware version maybe be different. Which is why is spins up and gets recognized but doesn't do much else from there. Your next step is sending it to a data recovery facility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom