External Hard Drive causing problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

mel6280

Beta member
Hi,
I am having some serious issues with my laptop. It started freezing randomly about a week ago and got so bad, I couldn't use it anymore. I thought I had a virus, but couldn't find it or fix it so paid a technician to fix it. He said he found a number of viruses, but was able to get rid of them ($200 later). When I got home, the problem was still there. I decided to re-format windows and thought all was good until it started happening again when I tried to transfer some files from my external hard drive. I started thinking that maybe it was the external hard drive that caused the problem in the first place. Is this possible? How do I know if the problem is with the actual hard drive or with the files that are on there? What should I do? I have scanned my computer with Norton, Adaware and AVG and no viruses are being detected. The freezing seems to happen when I'm doing something that uses alot of RAM. Is it possible that the viruses that the tech guy found have damaged my hardware?
The freezing doesn't bring up the blue screen or anything it just completely freezes - the mouse won't move and the keyboard in inactive. I have used the hard drives on two other pc's and a Mac, and it is fine. Sometimes it will freeze when I am using the hard drive directly (transferring files etc), and sometimes it just happens when I am doing nothing at all. It has happened once while it wan't even plugged in - now that's got me!
I have tried re-installing the USB drivers as well as the hard drive drivers but that didn't help.

Please help!

Kind Regrads,
Mel

Memtest86 - Download Page

click on the 3.3 bootable iso zip download, burn the iso (if youve never burned an iso image, then I'm sure you can find a tutorial on how to do it.), and set your bios to boot from the CD with that program on it. If it finds and problems, then it is because you have bad ram, and should replace it. Report back once youve done it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom