External Hard disk problem ... please help! frustration levels at max!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Defiant

Beta member
Hi guys,

After running my old toshiba laptop into the ground after 5 years, a system 32 error preventing me to start up prompted me to buy a new laptop. I connected the old Hard Disk (HTS541080G9AT00) to the new one externally and thankfully all my data was still there but permissions issues were preventing me from accessing anything. My mate told me to tick the 'Replace owner on subcontainers and objects' box and this looked to me working as it then started going through every file and changing the owner to my my latop. About an hour into this, it froze up but I left it for a long time as I know its not a good idea to interfere if its still doing something but eventually I had to go out so I had no choice but to turn off the laptop. Today when I try to access the external HD, it just get the spinning circle as if its doing something but nothing happens, and then eventually 'My Computer' stops responding. I looked in the device manager and it is showing the HD present and working properly, but nothing I do will allow me to get into it, its just constantly busy. I was told to try unistalling the USB drive to see if that helps but when I try to do that, it just says its uninstalling but again, seems to take forever and nothing actually happens.

I am now totally fed up of this, im just an average pc user and want to get to my files on my old HD but it seems an impossible task. Does anyone know any simple ways to solve this problem and why it might be happening? Like I said, the device manager shows the HD is there and is working, but anytime I try to right click or double click it, I just get the circle and it never does anything! Please help!

I'm not sure of your problem, but try this. Get a Linux Boot-CD. Ubuntu is the most favorite. Burn the ISO to a CD, and boot with it (Optical first in boot order) See if Ubuntu can read off the data, you could prolly transfer it that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom