External drive capacity suddenly changed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

imer79

Beta member
I recently bought a used 160GB 7200RPM USB External. I received it, and it's capacity was shown to be ~160GB. I put about 30GB of files on it. About 2 weeks later, I was trying to copy to it and I got a disk full error. I checked the capacity in My Computer and it only read 30GB! The tooltip that appears when I hover over the drive's icon in My Computer reads, "Total Size: 29.3GB!" I've tried reformatting in both FAT32 and NTFS formats, and it still shows a capacity of only 30GB. I thought, maybe it actually is a 30GB drive in there and I didn't realize it when I first got it. So, I opened the enclosure and verified that it was a Seagate Barracuda 160GB drive. I am stumped. I have never had a problem like this before. Any ideas as to what it might be?

Actually, I posted my problem on two forums simultaneously and I found a solution on the other. I thought I'd repeat it here for the benefit of anyone searching for a solution to the same problem. I checked my jumper settings and the capacity limit was apparently set (at 32GB). I removed the jumper and used disk management to re-partition and reformat the drive. Problem solved. Thanks to those who offered help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom