Ext Hdd does not get detected

Status
Not open for further replies.

krazyq

krazy Techie
This is my friends ULTRA external hdd.
it powers on but i dont see it getting detected. I didnt even hear the ding sount when u plug a usb in.

the power light comes on but not the hdd/acc light.

What might be the problem?

With the power off, of course:
Open up the external casing, unattach the harddrive, blow out the connector on both ends and try again.

Works for me every time.

With the power off, of course:
Open up the external casing, unattach the harddrive, blow out the connector on both ends and try again.

Works for me every time.

do you mean just like air blow it with an air can? cos i guess ill try that, thanks

he also asks if its got anything to do with the reader.

What reader? I have no idea what your talking about. :confused:

yes Air or canned air, whatever.

ok i got it to load but this is what the real prob is

it says 100gb used...but all his folders are empty
i just got an error saying drive write error failed...

heres a pic i got from it

fail.jpg

I know this is redundant, but repeat the steps I said the first time, and if it still happens you may have to try connecting it directly to the motherboard using SATA or EIDE.

If the same result try another computer, if the same result you will at this time be looking into data recovery or if he has it backed up some other way, formatting it to use again.

Just remind him to always have his data backed up on DVDs or CD-Rs

The drive is proabably on it's way out.

I know this is redundant, but repeat the steps I said the first time, and if it still happens you may have to try connecting it directly to the motherboard using SATA or EIDE.

If the same result try another computer, if the same result you will at this time be looking into data recovery or if he has it backed up some other way, formatting it to use again.

Just remind him to always have his data backed up on DVDs or CD-Rs

The drive is proabably on it's way out.

1- tried it on another pc(mine)
2- he kinda had a feeling it was on its way out...
3- when i did ure steps, it actually turned on! so thats good
4- its ide so when i attach it to my mobo...does it have to be powered from my psu or the power cord?

thanks for helping!

should be a 4 pin power connector on the back of the hdd. Take a cable from the power supply.

Edit: sorry posted when you did

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom