Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve_X

Solid State Member
Major issue: overheating GPU, 8800GTX.

Minor issues, possibly related: front bottom fan dead (no apparent air flow,
and Hardware Monitor seems to show a dead fan), bottom rear USB ports dead
(but front bottom fan USB ports work).

Here's what I saw when I opened up the case (I've looked at the p5b user guide but
have limited understanding of what I saw):

3284876070_a4415a67ba_b.jpg

And a closer look around the GPU:

3284052653_0377ee043c_b.jpg

There's also an eSATA HDD not in the pics.

As far as I can tell there's no real GPU cooler in the case. Is that normal?
(There doesn't seem to be room for one anyway. I wish I had been told
when I bought it.)

Build:
Windows XP Home SP2 (OEM)
Asus P5B
nVidia GeForce 8800GTX, 768MB, Dual DVI, TV-Out, Q
Enlight 7250 Mid-Tower ATX, Antec 550 Watt, 2 Front USB
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E6600
Corsair XMS2 Twin2X 2GB PC5400 DDR2-675, Heat Spreaders, Matched Pair
Western Digital 400 GB, Serial ATA 300, 7200 RPM, 16 MB Cache
Major Brand 1.44 MB Floppy Drive
SoundBlaster Audigy SE
Black 80mm Case Fan
LiteOn LH-20A1H Lightscribe 20x Dual Layer DVD±RW

I've just discovered that my 8800GTX idles at 76C with normal fan settings.
This seemed quite hot, so I increased fan speed from 60% to 80% and it now idles at 64C.
I have not yet tested it with load, although I've had no trouble playing games like City of Heroes
and Jade Empire on this machine in the past.

I was considering overclocking to play some newer games coming out and that's when
I started monitoring temps and discovered the issue.

It's not that your GPU necessarily needs more cooling, it's that you need a better case with more airflow. Two (I'm assuming 80mm in the front) 80mm fans is not enough for that system to keep cool. For now, I agree with newbie and leave the case open.

Thanks guys. I was thinking about building my own PC some time and salvaging this one might be good practice. However, I think I might have left a few things unclear:

I think major cooling for the case and the GPU in particular is from the Antec PSU fan. However, I'd say it's inadequate.

There's an intake grill in the side of the case over the CPU. The grill also has a funky plastic extension that seems designed to isolate or channel air flow over the CPU. I'll take a pic if you guys like.

There's an 80mm intake fan at bottom right of the case that appears to be dead.

You don't really need to build a whole new PC. Just get a good airflow case. If you're not up for spending much, I would suggest the Antec Three Hundred:
Newegg.com - Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

It's not that expensive, and the airflow in this case is like night and day difference compared to your current case. It uses 120mm and 140mm fans. And these bigger fans will be quieter than those 80mm, while providing more airflow. Just get an extra 120mm case fan for the front, because this case doesn't come with one.

Okay I'm looking at some cases. The Skeleton looks insanely hardcore. Probably too hardcore for me. Otherwise, I need to figure out whether I want a value case like the Antec 300 (to pass on to my family as I upgrade) or a super top shelf case to keep forever.

It also seems hard (impossible?) to find a case that everyone agrees is easy to set up and has great air circulation and cooling with limited dust intake. Yeah, I know, a thousand random PC shoppers aren't going to agree unanimously on much.

It's more of a personal choice for cases, but I was just throwing out a suggestion. I use the Antec 300 myself. And it does have a dust filter in the front, which also (I forgot to mention) holds 2 x 120mm fans. It has great air cooling for the money, and not a bad looking case. It's guaranteed to do a better job at cooling than your current case.

The skeleton looks like it's geared more towards a tech station setup.

In the end, it's your choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom