EVGA GeForce 6600 wigged out :( - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 05:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Unhappy EVGA GeForce 6600 wigged out :(

I have had my computer for about 3 years and my EVGA GeForce 6600 video card for about 2.5. Recently, it started acting all weird. When i start up the computer, there are like vertical "matrix like" lines about 1 inch apart running down the startup screen. Then it goes to the windows flag screen and the problem persists. After that, the screen goes black and doesn't return. When I enter the setup in the startup screen menu, there is no longer the vertical line problem, but certain columns of letters flash on and off in synchronis.
I also have an onboard video card. When I switch to that one, the computer works fine, (albeit much slower,) so in know that its a problem with the video card and not the computer/ connectors. I have already reinstalled the video driver and taken out, cleaned, and reinserted the video card, so yet again, i know that there is no connection problem. Does anyone have any advice? I use windows XP btw.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Default Re: EVGA GeForce 6600 wigged out :(

So with onboard video it is fine, but with a dedicated card it acts up... Sounds like the dedicated GPU memory is shot... Or the chip that converts the digital to analog is fried... Best bet is to buy a new GPU, you use AGP8x or PCIe?

Old 05-05-2009, 02:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Since its evga, you have a lifetime warranty so assuming you registered your product, which you can still do, they will send you either a new 6600 if they have one or a much better card. Call evga and they will see what they can do for you. They are very helpful
Old 05-05-2009, 03:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinscher View Post
Since its evga, you have a lifetime warranty so assuming you registered your product, which you can still do, they will send you either a new 6600 if they have one or a much better card. Call evga and they will see what they can do for you. They are very helpful
You have to register your product within the first 30 days after buying it to receive more than a 1 year warranty, and like i said, i bought it about 3 years ago, so even if i did register it, the warranty that specific card had would have run out about a year ago.
Old 05-05-2009, 03:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_scott View Post
So with onboard video it is fine, but with a dedicated card it acts up... Sounds like the dedicated GPU memory is shot... Or the chip that converts the digital to analog is fried... Best bet is to buy a new GPU, you use AGP8x or PCIe?
what are AGP8x and PCIe?
Old 05-05-2009, 04:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lord Techie

The interface of the cards, it is how they connect to the motherboard.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_scott View Post
The interface of the cards, it is how they connect to the motherboard.
PCIe. why?

Closed Thread