EVGA 275 Co-Op problem

SirCyber

Daemon Poster
Ok so I have been having a serious issue with my graphics card for at least a year. I've been dealing with it, but through my OT topic I have been generating a renewed interest in getting the issue solved. I cannot OC it anymore, the software is up to date but it's having some real issues overclocking it. It barely runs games on the lowest settings, and frequently crashes my windows gui. I get consistantly low scores on 3dmark, and my system bottleneck, which when I first built was the hard drive, is now solidly the graphics card. I have uninstalled and reinstalled drivers, changed which port it's in, updated drivers, and the only thing that I can think of is that one of the GPU's died. I have no way of knowing how to tell that, both appear to be operating when I open the nVidea display panel and in ELEET tuner. I'm lost and confused. there is no heat issues, I'm running a constant 65C.
Honestly I got the the point that I bought a new card but thanks to Mguire realized that the new one I bought is inferior to my current card, at the least at stock settings. anybody that has any advice, or knowledge to fix my issues? the help will be greatly appreciated

Ok, it's been a while since I mentioned anything about this problem, I eventually stopped worrying about it due to time management, but I'm out of the navy now and have time to be nit picky. to answer patonb, no, I cannot turn off one GPU. I recently updated all my drivers. here's where it gets weird. when I load up Precision X, it at first registers the master GPU at 633mHz, which is the stock speed. after about a second or less, it downclocks itself to 300mHz, which isn't even selectable if I was manually adjusting the frequency. now, the 250GS (the slave GPU) is overclockable, stable, can adjust the voltage, memory freq, and GPU freq. the 275 (master) is unchangeable, stuck at 300mHz and 1169 Volts. even with the GPU's sinc'd, the master doesn't adjust and the slave does

If you got it new and it's dying, Since it's EVGA they still may honor there life time warranty they had when they were selling the 275, When my 285 crapped out I called and the tech had me do a few tests and said to send it in, I actually paid for the extra on the warranty and they sent me the replacement first and had me send my 285 back in the box I got the replacement in, Here is the kicker, They replaced it with a GTX 470 that I'm still using now. That's why I will only go with EVGA because they take care of there customers.

Dauntae

The down clock is normal, all gpu's do that now. Unless I'm miss reading this.
the problem isn't with it downclocking... its downclocking past selectable options and you can't bring it back up. stock is 633mHz, it will not overclock, you can't change the memory clock, the only option on the master that changes is the fan speed
****EDTI****
Dauntae, I hadn't considered that... I will check into that later for sure! I don't care about an upgrade *as in if I get the same I will be happy with the same* but I do want my card to be working up to par

Last edited:
Are you running a 250 and 275 in SLI? I know you mentioned me in the first post but I can't honestly remember the situation from back then.

When the card downclocks to the 300s it's because it's going into power saving mode. You have to give the card a full load before the drivers will bring it back to regular clocks. Like my 580 used to clock down to 50Mhz for 2D clocks and it put off significantly less heat that way. In the case of overclocking your card beyond stock clocks if you are running a 250 and 275 in SLI that could be why. If you mean individually and the 275 won't OC beyond stock clocks it could just be its time.

ANother thing you could try is ditching Precision for MSI Afterburner. I find it to be a better program personally.

lots of good questions there pp_mguire. first, SLI. these two GPU's are on the same card, hence the co-op, and I believe they are constantly in SLI. next, pwer saver mode... I would agree with you on that, but would that effect only the 275? my 250gs gpu (again, same card) is currently overclocked to 850 I believe. Within precision I have the option to link the GPU's, and when I OC'd the 250, the same changes should have applied to the 275. no such luck. HOWEVER I will try what you say and put a load on it and see if it effects the GPU. I am truly thinking that it is, as you said, it's time. maybe it's time to bite the bullet and get a new card. last note, never used MSI Afterburner, and been using precision for 3 years.... I'm biased but I could give that a shot maybe lol

Ahahaha how could I have forgot about that card. Pardon me, I remembered the 295 Coop which back then was eVGA's "superclocked" nomenclature. Your card has a 275 on it for graphics processing and the 250 is a dedicated PhysX unit. The two aren't in SLI and unless you tell NVCP to dedicate PhysX to just the 250 it isn't doing anything but sitting there pretty.

If you're linking the cards that's why it isn't doing anything. Precision and Afterburner can't OC two different GPUs. When running 2 of the same cards in SLI (let's say 2 680s) one Superclocked and the other vanilla the drivers will downclock the Superclocked card to vanilla speeds and either of those two programs in linked mode will overclock both cards at the same time. In this case, your two GPUs are totally different.

MSI Afterburner was wrote by the guy who created Rivatuner if that makes you feel any better. IMO it is a superior program with all of its features and non-kiddie look. It also comes with Kombustor which is a stressing program that will toss an easy load on your 275 to see if your clocks go back to normal.

Back
Top Bottom