Everytime I put in a flash drive and take it out it says drive not found

Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard that you can just pull it out as long as no data is being transferred, as it isn't blinking its light. I did this with several usb drives, and I never had a problem.

What if you dont have lights on the USB? how would you know then? What if you dont have a USB Port that doesnt have lights for you to see? Like on the front or side of a pre-built case? At that point you are better off being safe rather than sorry. While there are times where it can be done, if there is any data on the USB you are better off using the tools provided to make sure that nothing goes wrong rather than trying your luck.

What if you dont have lights on the USB? how would you know then? What if you dont have a USB Port that doesnt have lights for you to see? Like on the front or side of a pre-built case? At that point you are better off being safe rather than sorry. While there are times where it can be done, if there is any data on the USB you are better off using the tools provided to make sure that nothing goes wrong rather than trying your luck.

I have several USB sticks, and I never lost one. I used ones that had no lights on it.

One broke, but that's because a capacitor on it blew, and it was a cheapo one.

Do whatever you think is safest.

It isnt what i think is safest. The tool is there for a reason. It is shown that it prevents data corruption. It only makes sense to do what is recommended to prolong the life of not only the drive but the data on it. I could care less if you yank it out or juggle it with it still attached to the PC. It doesnt make a bit of difference to me.

But this is clearly one of those times that it wasnt removed properly and data corruption ensued. Which is now going to cost them to loss whatever data is on there and format the drive just because they didnt do 2 simple mouse clicks.

I do it cause i am not risking my data. I also can handle the 2 clicks and few seconds it takes. This is stuff put in place for a very specific reason. It is for that reason that it is not only suggested by me but by Microsoft.

Does your flash drive attempt to "load a virtual drive" to the system?
[example: Scandisk flash drives will install a virtual cd-rom drive]

The newer the stick the more potential issues you'll see on older machines.

What drives are currently showing under "My Computer"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom