Everything has gone wrong!!! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 11:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Everything has gone wrong!!!

I got a new computer case today, the Raidmax Smilodon with a 500W power supply. The power supply seemed solid so I left it in instead of the 450 JPAC i used previously. I got everything installed and it worked flawlessly for 4 or 5 hours. I needed to restart my computer, and thats when everything went to ****. It stopped recognizing my boot drive, and my 160 GB data drive only shows up in bios as 8 GB. Also, before my bios load it starts telling me I have an inappropriate RAM setup, which i know is right. Also, I cannot get my DVD burner drive to be found by the bios. I have tried swapping cables, changing jumpers, cleared cmos, tried my old power supply. Do you think the new power supply is faulty and messed up my motherboard? I am pretty knowledgeable and all my friends come to me for help, but i just cannot seem to figure this one out.

Old 02-23-2007, 01:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

It sounds like you might need to RMA the board.
Have you tried removing a ram stick if you have more than one.
What are your specs? Is the Ram your using listed in QVL listing for this board. Although its wierd to run for a few hours and then bite it. I've had some problems like that in the past but it was one of my SLI video cards died after the first hour after I built my system.

Old 02-23-2007, 01:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I am pretty sure all of this is caused by the PSU. Keep in mind the ram and processor configuration is the same as it was in my old case, I just swapped cases. Im not sure what brand of RAM I have, I knmow its bad but I have 3 different sticks from 3 different companies.
I have a Intel D865PERL board, Intel celeron D 2.93 Ghz processor, ATI radeon 9600XT video card. My boot drive is a Western digital 80 GB and my data drive is a Western digital 160 GB, both hooked through IDE cables. I had this setup in my old case with my old power supply for over a year and never had a bit of trouble other than a little overheating which i fixed by re-applying my thermal paste. Do you think that I could either get newegg or raidmax to cover the costs of a new mobo and HD since the new power supply(most likely) caused them damage?
Old 02-24-2007, 12:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
Monster Techie

I misunderstood you about using your same system in a new case. I've built a lot of computers and have never had a power supply damage anything although it could happen. I have had problems with grounding out. Try to unscrew the screws and slip some antistatic bag under the board and boot it up. I just lay the board on a table with the bag under it and i have a cheater jumper wire for the front power pins to turn it on with and then i hook up everything and boot it up.
Closed Thread