Ever seen a USB cable burn up? - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 10-19-2010, 08:16 PM   #11 (permalink)
Super Techie
Default Re: Ever seen a USB cable burn up?

A couple months ago I opened up a friends PC to work on it (Upgrading CPU and RAM, cleaning up system) and found that the bottom half had what looked like spiderwebs of dust. There was no fan on the back of the PC even though there was a spot for it covered up by a cover that had "FAN" on it. I rigged an old fan up in that spot.

BTW: The PC was designed for Windows 98 but had XP Professional on it!

Old 10-19-2010, 10:27 PM   #12 (permalink)
Lord Techie

I'm pretty sure most boards have protection against USB shorts. I've had a similar issue occur a couple of times but never with spectacular results like that cable! Those times the motherboards were left undamaged.

Visit my website - nitestick.net
"Guitar is cool. If you donít think the guitar is cool, then youíre stupid. And I will fight you! " - Brendon Small
I'm sorry but I do not accept support requests via IM, email, or personal messages
You can contact me for Forum related issues via PM only.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:31 PM   #13 (permalink)
The Grinch

To think of it, I have seen a lot of USB ports in that condition, but, the motherboard only supplied just enough power to really do nothing, 500mA at 5v is very little current... Something else must have caused it.. The controller would be fried if it supplied enough amperage to cause that kinda damage..... Maybe the PSU surged and the short on the cable just happened to have permitted the surge through the board and just melt the cable?

Closed Thread