Ever seen a USB cable burn up? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 02:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to Ethereal_Dragon Send a message via Yahoo to Ethereal_Dragon
Default Ever seen a USB cable burn up?

I have a friend whos PC I work on frequently, due to user error, and virus infestation, etc. etc. Well, this time I was told it wouldn't power up. I was under the assumption that the PSU failed, given the symptoms.
  • Smelled like burning after turning PC on
  • PC turned off after a few moments
  • Would not power back on
So, I took the PC, took the PSU out, rigged up one of mine, and same results as before. PSU obviously not the issue, as this was a BRAND NEW unit. Took the PSU, tested it on my PC just to be sure it was good, and worked without issue.
Next, I started thinking that perhaps the CPU burned up, so I started taking all the components off of the motherboard. This computer was built by a different friend of hers a few years back, and has 2x 36 Gig SCSI drives in it. The SCSI card was in a lower PCI slot, and the SCSI cable was a mess down at the bottom of the case. After getting the cable out, I immediatly saw the problem..... USB header for the front ports BURNED UP!! After looking at the front ports, hidden behind a liftable cover on the front of the case, the lowest port had the piece in the middle broken off, and the pins were all jammed up into the metal housing of the case, shorting the pins out. This caused the cable to heat up to such a magnatude that it turned black, and the copper inside turned green and crispy, and the plastic sheathing was all bubbly and nasty. So I disconnected the whole front connector assembly, 2x USB, headphone & mic ports, and wrote it off as a total loss. After getting that out, I hooked up her PSU, tried to fire up the PC, and STILL NOTHING. Then I hooked up my PSU, and it worked without issue.
I am pretty amazed. Has anyone ever seen anything like this? My biggest shock, aside from the cable being in how it is now, is that the motherboard had NO DAMAGE that I could find, yet the issue was severe enough to burn out the PSU also.
Pictures..... (sorry, if the quality is bad, phone pics....)

Here are 2 shots of the cable inside the case.

Here are 2 shots of the bent USB pins on the front of the case. You can see that the metal is all discolored near the pin farthest to the right.

XFX Radeon HD 4870, SILVERSTONE DA700, Samsung 840 500Gig SSD MZ-7TD500BW, 3x WD20EARS 2 TB Green,
ASUS DRW-2014L1T (DVD), LG WH14NS40 (Blu Ray), Dell 2709W, Sony SDM-HS95P, Windows 10 Pro
The NAS Box: OFFLINE D-Link DNS-323, 0.1RC3 Alt-F firmware, 2x 7200.14 ST3000DM001 3TB EXT4 - NO RAID - 6 TB
Home Server: BUILD LOG!! - Supermicro SC826TQ-R800LPB chassis, X8DTN+, Dual Xeon E5620 (Stock),
4x Nanya NT4GC72B4NA1NL-CG (24GB Reg ECC DDR3), 12x MICRON MT36JSZF51272PZ-1G4G1FG (48GB Reg ECC DDR3), (72GB total memory)
2x OCZ Agility (60GB) (OS & Backup), 6x WD40EFRX (4TB) in RaidZ2 (14.3 TB usable), 2x Q Series HDTS225XZSTA (256GB) ZIL & L2ARC mirrored

Old 10-18-2010, 02:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster
Default Re: Ever seen a USB cable burn up?

Dust that beast!!

I guess it could be possible. An over vault?

Old 10-18-2010, 03:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to Ethereal_Dragon Send a message via Yahoo to Ethereal_Dragon

Yeah, it was VERRRRRY dusty in there. I spent about 3 hours cleaning EVERYTHING in the case with isopropyl alcohol and Q-tips. There were 2 CLEAR case fans that at first glance looked like black plastic fans.... turned out they were just dusty as... well, REALLY dirty. (pics below).

Not sure what you meant by the 2nd part, but I am thinking you were wondering if anything was modded, and no, everything is completly bone stock, no mods to PSU, no mods to anything, just the fact that the pins grounded out on the chassis.

BEFORE:

AFTER:
XFX Radeon HD 4870, SILVERSTONE DA700, Samsung 840 500Gig SSD MZ-7TD500BW, 3x WD20EARS 2 TB Green,
ASUS DRW-2014L1T (DVD), LG WH14NS40 (Blu Ray), Dell 2709W, Sony SDM-HS95P, Windows 10 Pro
The NAS Box: OFFLINE D-Link DNS-323, 0.1RC3 Alt-F firmware, 2x 7200.14 ST3000DM001 3TB EXT4 - NO RAID - 6 TB
Home Server: BUILD LOG!! - Supermicro SC826TQ-R800LPB chassis, X8DTN+, Dual Xeon E5620 (Stock),
4x Nanya NT4GC72B4NA1NL-CG (24GB Reg ECC DDR3), 12x MICRON MT36JSZF51272PZ-1G4G1FG (48GB Reg ECC DDR3), (72GB total memory)
2x OCZ Agility (60GB) (OS & Backup), 6x WD40EFRX (4TB) in RaidZ2 (14.3 TB usable), 2x Q Series HDTS225XZSTA (256GB) ZIL & L2ARC mirrored

Old 10-18-2010, 03:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

Nicely done.

Could have gotten too hot, and burned?
Old 10-18-2010, 05:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Seg Fault'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal_Dragon View Post
Yeah, it was VERRRRRY dusty in there. I spent about 3 hours cleaning EVERYTHING in the case with isopropyl alcohol and Q-tips. There were 2 CLEAR case fans that at first glance looked like black plastic fans.... turned out they were just dusty as... well, REALLY dirty. (pics below).

Not sure what you meant by the 2nd part, but I am thinking you were wondering if anything was modded, and no, everything is completly bone stock, no mods to PSU, no mods to anything, just the fact that the pins grounded out on the chassis.

BEFORE:

AFTER:
Woah. Smoker?

There are in order of increasing severity: lies, darn lies, statistics, and computer benchmarks. - diskinfo man page
"Get your money and let's go to court!" - Craig Mudie, MS
Old 10-19-2010, 12:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindoverMaster View Post
I guess it could be possible. An Overvolt?
fixed

And woah, that's some seriously awesome stuff right there
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 10-19-2010, 09:40 AM   #7 (permalink)

Meh, I was tired yesterday. But you know, did he put it in a vault over his head?
Old 10-19-2010, 02:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lord Techie

I haven't even seen a smokers PC like that... Black "dust" is usualy damp dust that started to permit the growth of mold... That, I have seen, a lot.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:02 PM   #9 (permalink)

I'd know right away if it was mold. I'm allergic to it :P
Old 10-19-2010, 08:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via AIM to Stevo808

I never seen that before, nice job cleaning the beast.

Closed Thread