Ever had this problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonythetiger729

Beta member
So, I build computers and i fix computers for people, but right now im currently stumped by this problem.

I have right now to fix a Pentium 4 2.4/ 533/ 1mb socket 478, 256 ddr, ATI 9250 128mb, 41.1 gb HD

> problem is that the computer seems to turn on, but it doesnt.... it doesnt reach the BIOS, the monitor doesnt get any signal, at first i thought duh, videocard prob, but its not the video card because it works perfect.... in addition to all, the computer has the HD light on (like its working) but it does nothing... i thought the LED cable was hooked up wrong but its not.... How can see if CPU is fried, or mobo has shorted?

-Any suggestions? - i dont know the mobo manufacturer, cant find any name anywhere on the mobo (trust me).

well your only chance would be try the cpu in another computer, if it aint the cpu you can be sure its the mobo (pretty sure):p, so get yourself a cheap mobo somewhere and try that.

Some systems handle things differently. My intel mobo will freeze up at the "Intel Desktop Boards" screen if I have my ATAPI devices jumpered incorrectly.

Have you tried the obvious? Taking out all your hardware, including your hard drive, and then booting up.

Is the HD light permanently on, right from the start? Make sure the IDE cables are in properly and NOT connected the wrong way round. Impossible to do with some cables, difficult to do with others, but easy to do with some. This can cause an IDE light to stay on but the drive not function. It could drag the rest of the system down as well.

The best thing to do is diconnect ALL drives at the motherboad end, check that there are no bent pins shorting together, and run the computer up. If it has fixed your problem you will get a video signal and the run up will halt at "No system disk".

If this doesn't show any difference, take everything out that you don't nead. Soundcards, modem etc and take it down to one Mem module. Try running again.

check on the metal piece on the back of the comp where the usb and ethernet ports are. there are metal tabs on the sides of some of the holes. make sure theyre all bent outwards. that was my problem, the tabs were bent inwards touching the mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom