Ever had this problem? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 08-15-2005, 11:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Send a message via AIM to tonythetiger729
Default Ever had this problem?

So, I build computers and i fix computers for people, but right now im currently stumped by this problem.

I have right now to fix a Pentium 4 2.4/ 533/ 1mb socket 478, 256 ddr, ATI 9250 128mb, 41.1 gb HD

> problem is that the computer seems to turn on, but it doesnt.... it doesnt reach the BIOS, the monitor doesnt get any signal, at first i thought duh, videocard prob, but its not the video card because it works perfect.... in addition to all, the computer has the HD light on (like its working) but it does nothing... i thought the LED cable was hooked up wrong but its not.... How can see if CPU is fried, or mobo has shorted?

-Any suggestions? - i dont know the mobo manufacturer, cant find any name anywhere on the mobo (trust me).

Old 08-16-2005, 05:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Techie

well your only chance would be try the cpu in another computer, if it aint the cpu you can be sure its the mobo (pretty sure), so get yourself a cheap mobo somewhere and try that.

Old 08-16-2005, 07:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lord Techie

most logical solution is what foxhound said. its either that or get another cpu to test in the m/b
Visit my website - nitestick.net
"Guitar is cool. If you donít think the guitar is cool, then youíre stupid. And I will fight you! " - Brendon Small
I'm sorry but I do not accept support requests via IM, email, or personal messages
You can contact me for Forum related issues via PM only.

Old 08-16-2005, 07:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie
Send a message via AIM to benzimm86

make sure that the board is not being grounded any where by the case
amd athlon xp2100+
asus a7v333 mb
nvidia geforce4mx 420 64 mb
thermaltake volcano 12
1 gig ddr pc2100
thermaltake purepower 420w psu
audigy 2 platinum sound card
Old 08-16-2005, 01:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Some systems handle things differently. My intel mobo will freeze up at the "Intel Desktop Boards" screen if I have my ATAPI devices jumpered incorrectly.

Have you tried the obvious? Taking out all your hardware, including your hard drive, and then booting up.
Associates Degree in IS

A+ Certified

Studying for Network+
Old 08-16-2005, 01:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Monster Techie

What about the ram... Try a different module u know is good.
My current specs:
i7 920
Biostar TPower x58
3x2GB g.skill
XFI GTX260 Black Edition
640 WD Caviar Black
Vista Home Premium x64
Old 08-16-2005, 05:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
True Techie

Is the HD light permanently on, right from the start? Make sure the IDE cables are in properly and NOT connected the wrong way round. Impossible to do with some cables, difficult to do with others, but easy to do with some. This can cause an IDE light to stay on but the drive not function. It could drag the rest of the system down as well.

The best thing to do is diconnect ALL drives at the motherboad end, check that there are no bent pins shorting together, and run the computer up. If it has fixed your problem you will get a video signal and the run up will halt at "No system disk".

If this doesn't show any difference, take everything out that you don't nead. Soundcards, modem etc and take it down to one Mem module. Try running again.
If it wasn\'t for Electricians you would be using your computer by candle light

Athlon 64 3500+
ASUS A8V-E Deluxe Motherboard
2x512MB 400MHz DDR Dual Channel
Gigabyte X800XL - 256MB Mem
Maxtor Y160M0 - 160GB SATA
Maxtor 80GB PATA
Xaser III Case
Win XP Pro SP2
ViewSonic VX924 19\"LCD 4mS(ish)
Old 08-16-2005, 06:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
True Techie
Send a message via AIM to soup lightning

check on the metal piece on the back of the comp where the usb and ethernet ports are. there are metal tabs on the sides of some of the holes. make sure theyre all bent outwards. that was my problem, the tabs were bent inwards touching the mobo

Closed Thread