Ethernet port not working?

phantom555

In Runtime
I have a sony viao laptop, and in due to the rainy season humid air crept in. And cause the ethernet port socket for RJ45 plug to malfunction? So no wired internet connection was working. I saw that many side pins were loosened up so i tried to correct them by placing a bit of paper behind it. But then one of the pins got broken. So now could the ethernet socket of the laptop could be replaced/ repaired with a new one?

- k

I have a sony viao laptop, and in due to the rainy season humid air crept in. And cause the ethernet port socket for RJ45 plug to malfunction? So no wired internet connection was working. I saw that many side pins were loosened up so i tried to correct them by placing a bit of paper behind it. But then one of the pins got broken. So now could the ethernet socket of the laptop could be replaced/ repaired with a new one?

- k

In your part of india you will need to locate a computer shop that can desolder the ethernet port off and solder a new one on and test it.

If they tell you it can't be done, have them explain why and look into purchasing a wireless nic adapter.
If this is your only computer you "might" be looking at a new motherboard replacement to connect your router/modem. :/

Get a USB ethernet adapter to replace your built-in broken jack:
Amazon.com: Linksys USB Ethernet Adapter: Electronics

Trying to find a place to desolder the ethernet jack and put a new one on will cost a lot.

A new motherboard for the laptop would pretty much cost the same as getting a new laptop, unless you can somehow find a used one on eBay where everything works.

I searched on the internet and found the self help section of sony viao....replacing a ethernet port...
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Sony+Vaio+VGN-S260+Ethernet+Ports+Replacement/2255#s11446

But then why its written that ethernet circuit is also be replaced? Wouldn't replacing just the screwed in RJ-45 socket port wired connection will not help? Its confusing in the self-help. If the laptop ethernet port is repaired/replaced by a professional and after that what if motherboard started to work abnormal?

I searched on the internet and found the self help section of sony viao....replacing a ethernet port...
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Sony+Vaio+VGN-S260+Ethernet+Ports+Replacement/2255#s11446

But then why its written that ethernet circuit is also be replaced? Wouldn't replacing just the screwed in RJ-45 socket port wired connection will not help? Its confusing in the self-help. If the laptop ethernet port is repaired/replaced by a professional and after that what if motherboard started to work abnormal?

Since it's on a separate board, you could just try and find a replacement ethernet board on eBay and replace it yourself

Edit: here you go... $5 + shipping: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-Vaio-V...397?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c1a097bb5

Either that, or get the USB ethernet adapter that I posted.

Last edited:
That's why I posted the link to the part you need to get... the one I looks like it should work with the model you posted (VGN-S260). The one you posted is for other models.

Or instead of just getting the connector, you can get the connector + board for cheaper (and this is specifically for your VGN-S260):
Sony VGN S260 VGN s Series Modem Ethernet Connector Board IFX 311 1 862 524 11 | eBay

That part is a better deal IMO. Then you could either just take the connectors off of it, or replace the entire board it's connected to.

I read the ethernet cable as M971 RJ-45 "015-0201-1594_A"
As i checked in various sites the shipping packages price is itself around 45 dollars(with 5dollars of the cable), thats 3000 rupees!!! Than 300 rupees of the cable itself.

I would have to enquire if it is available in the indian hardware pc shops.
If i open the laptop myself then if i never able to reassemble it? or some other problems arise like keyboard connections gone wrong...!!!

Last edited:
I read the ethernet cable as M971 RJ-45 "015-0201-1594_A"
As i checked in various sites the shipping packages price is itself around 45 dollars(with 5dollars of the cable), thats 3000 rupees!!! Than 300 rupees of the cable itself.
The one I posted is $3 + $8 shipping to India (Sony VGN-S260 VGN-S Series Modem Ethernet Connector Board IFX-311 1-862-524-11)

Unless you want the expedited shipping, then it's $3 + $30 shipping.

I would have to enquire if it is available in the indian hardware pc shops.
If i open the laptop myself then if i never able to reassemble it? or some other problems arise like keyboard connections gone wrong...!!!

I highly doubt it's going to be available in a shop.

If you don't want to disassemble/replace the part yourself then buy the part and take it to a repair shop and have them put it in for you.

As long as you follow the steps and are careful/slow, then really you shouldn't have an issue doing it yourself. But like I said, if you're not comfortable doing it yourself... just have a shop swap out the part after you order it yourself. If you order it yourself then they should only have to charge you the price of labor to swap out the part, instead of labor + the cost of the part + their part price increase.

Back
Top Bottom