ethernet controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

butterflywrenn

Solid State Member
I turned my computer off the other day because we were fixing to get some bad weather. When I turned it back on I got the found new hardware dialog box and it said ethernet controller. Can anyone suggest what has happened or what I need to do. I am running Win XP home, but I do not have the original CD since this computer was given to me, and if they gave me the original XP cd, I can not seem to find it. I do have my own version of Win XP, but not sure if I can use that.

I went to the device manager and their is an exclamation mark beside ethernet controller,but it doesnt say what kind of controller I have or any other info.

Right now I am using the USB port to get online, but I would rather use the ethernet port.

thanks,
butterflywrenn

right click on the the network adaptor in the device manager the one with the exclamation mark & click update just keep clicking next if you have the motherboard support cd put that in your cd drive but if you dont it dosnt matter because windows will search the windows update site for it

My original post stated that I did not have the original win xp cd that came with this computer. I have my copy, but thats not what is installed at this time.

as per Viper880's instructions, I went to the device manager, clicked on ethernet controller (this is where the exclamation mark is, not network adatpers)clicked update driver. I got the wizard, put a mark install software automatically and clicked next. It started searching then said "cannot install this hardware because wizard cant find the necessary software.

I then went back and tried checking "install from a list...etc." but I didn't know what to choose, since I have no software.

thanks,
butterflywrenn

sorry im just now getting back been a little busy. I have a Dell OptiPlex GX1 computer. Serial # UNKTQ Model#MMP.

Thanks,
butterflywrenn

I would suggest going to Dell's website and downloading your driver from there. Since you can get on the internet using your USB connection this should work fine.

i got the same type of problem. Cept i am running off wireless. Not sure where i need to go to get the controller driver as i am not sure what type of mobo i have (if that even has anything to do with it)

use everest home to find out all your system specs including motherboard model and serial then go to the manufacturers website

btw:
I would suggest going to Dell's website and downloading your driver from there. Since you can get on the internet using your USB connection this should work fine.

deja vu

install the drivers off the original motherboard cd, xp web update or look up the manufacturers support website

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom