Error message-not enough extended memory???? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 06-10-2006, 06:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie
Default Error message-not enough extended memory????

Hi, I just got this error this morning and my pc was working fine the other day and for the past 3 months. And I didn't know where to pst so I thoguht maybe here would be the best place.

Windows NT has not found enough extended memory. 7MB of extended memory to run Windows NT is required. You may need to upgrade your computer or run a configuration program providied by the manufacturer.

Memory Map:

I have never encoutered this before therefore do not know what to do.

My pc specs are:

AMD athlon 64 X2 4800+
2048MB corsair twinx pro (2 sticks) RAM
ABIT AN8 nf4 fata1ty mobo
geforce 7900 gtx

I am on windows xp professional, and it is not overclocked. I don't know what else you want from me so let me know (I think you only really need RAM and mobo details right?)

Old 06-11-2006, 03:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie

Extended memory, i seem to think is the extension of RAM onto your hard drive,? I dont know whether you can boot to windows, but if you can try and extend the virtual memory? thats all i can think of!

Old 06-11-2006, 07:03 AM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

It may be due to damaged ram

try taking one of the sticks out
AMD 3000+
2gb RAM
X800 PCI-e
80gb + 250gb WD HDDs
X-FI Xtreme Music
Old 06-11-2006, 08:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

ok ill try talking out the RAM but I can't see why it would be damaged. Is there anything I can do in bios? And no I cannot boot to windows.
Case: Silverstone TJ09
CPU: Intel core i7 920 3.6GHz
MOBO: Asus P6TD Deluxe
RAM: 6GB DDR3 1600MHz Corsair Dominator GT
Graphics: 2x Gigabyte GTX 260 Super overclocked
Sound: Asus Xonar D2X
PSU: 850W Corsair
Old 06-11-2006, 01:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Techie
Default Re:

Can you get into safe mode?

|Desktop PC| |Macbook Air 13" (Mid 2013)|
|Windows 8.1 Pro (x64)| |AMD FX 4100 Black Edition 3.6 GHz @ 4.0 GHz OC| |Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 PRO| |Gigabyte Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Super Overclock 1GB| |ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 Motherboard| |Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD SATA III HDD| |Kingston HyperX 8GB PC3-14900 DDR3-1866| |OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular PSU| |NZXT Vulcan Micro ATX Case|
Old 06-11-2006, 01:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
True Techie

to be honest i totally forgot to try that idea. Once i get home I will try it but what if i can't and I doubt it will looking at the error message. I do know I can get into BIOS fine. I tried resetting my bios to see if that worked and it didn't. Also I have made a boot disk for BIOS update to try at home and I will try swapping my RAM sticks too. But thats all I know for now. I am at my uncles right now so all the help I can get while I am here to take home will be helpful as it saves me coming back.
Old 06-11-2006, 08:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
True Techie

hi guys, ok I am on my own computer now it is working. Leaving the RAM sticks as they were caused that error then swpaping just made the computer restart everytime it got to the welcome screen or cause other errors. SO i tried them separately and it seems to be that one of the RAM sticks is not working right. So I am now running on one untiul i can get the other one replaced BUT Iam getting this message eveytime windows comes on:

Windows - Registry recovery

one of the files containing the system's registry data had to be recovered by use of a log or alternate copy. the reconvery was succesful.

It comes on everytime time. What should I do?
Old 06-13-2006, 09:34 AM   #8 (permalink)
True Techie

nobody knows? if not are there any other places i can look?

Closed Thread