Endless Rebooting Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Idiot

Beta member
I have an endless rebooting computer, but I don't know why it's doing it. My genius of a sister decided to manually end a few processes to 'make it go faster' and we suspect this might be the cause of the problem. The only process she can remember ending was avgcc.exe, but she's certain the only processes she ended were ones listed as 'username processes' (as opposed to system and network processes).

We have tried booting up the computer in safe mode, and in a mode (can't remember what is was called) that, were the system to fail, would not reboot the computer. After booting the computer in this mode, a blue screen came up with a message along the lines of 'system failed'.

If any of you could help to solve this problem we'd be very grateful. Thanks in advance.

Do you have your Windows CD? Sounds like a repair install may be in order. Or at least chkdsk /r or fixboot fixmbr.

I believe we do, but are there any alternatives? Using the CD would inevitably involve angry parents, and we're sort of desperate to avoid that! I suppose a 'system failed' message is a sign that there aren't any alternatives, but if you know of any it would be greatly appreciated!

does it reboot as soon as it gets to windows xp logo loading ??
i had that problem a while ago i had to a windows repair to get it going again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom