At the end of my rope - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login

Old 11-28-2013, 12:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Default At the end of my rope

I can not get my wireless computer to function satisfactorily. I have been through 3 routers, at least two network cards, and I am currently using a high end router and USB connected network card and I STILL have dropouts during internet gameplay and surfing. I've had this problem for a long time now and I just can't figure out what the problem is. According to my Windows icon for internet connection I have an excellent connection and the bars never move off of "excellent", but inexplicably the connection drops sporadically and causes my online gaming and surfing experience to be marred. Help! BTW, here is the router and USB network card I am using, and I'm using Comcast high-speed cable internet:

ASUS RT-N66U Dual-Band Wireless-N900 Gigabit Router - Newegg.com

Linksys AE3000 USB 2.0 Dual-Band Wireless-N Adapter with 3 x 3 Antenna - Newegg.com

croSSeduP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 10:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Re: At the end of my rope

How big is your power supply and what are you running for a video card?

Kingdom_Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 10:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingdom_Seeker View Post
How big is your power supply and what are you running for a video card?
This power supply:
Antec TruePower New TP-750 Blue 750W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.3 / EPS12V V2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC "compatible with Core i7/Core i5" Power Supply - Newegg.com

This VGA:
MSI N680GTX-PM2D2GD5 GeForce GTX 680 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card - Newegg.com
Old 11-28-2013, 11:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

My guess is that your USB network card can't keep up with the load. I would suggest purchasing a PCI PCI-E card (whichever you computer supports. USB cards were really designed for truckers to connect their laptops to truckstop wifi networks. Most weren't designed to handle high end gaming.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
My guess is that your USB network card can't keep up with the load. I would suggest purchasing a PCI PCI-E card (whichever you computer supports. USB cards were really designed for truckers to connect their laptops to truckstop wifi networks. Most weren't designed to handle high end gaming.
That isn't the problem. I was having this problem with a PCI network card, too. After reading the reviews of the USB card I'm now using I decided to go that route. I must say that the signal strength is better. But, I still have the PCI network card. I'll throw it in there to see if things improve.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by croSSeduP View Post
That isn't the problem. I was having this problem with a PCI network card, too. After reading the reviews of the USB card I'm now using I decided to go that route. I must say that the signal strength is better. But, I still have the PCI network card. I'll throw it in there to see if things improve.
When you do, make sure all the drivers are up to date. Outdated drivers can cause major pains as I'm sure you know.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thought just hit me, have you uninstalled the drivers from the previous cards you've used? There may be some conflict going on.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
Thought just hit me, have you uninstalled the drivers from the previous cards you've used? There may be some conflict going on.
No. I don't even know where to find those drivers to uninstall them. Do you really think that could be a possibility?