Emergency! PSU making sounds, like, garbage disposal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeftEyeBlind

In Runtime
So this morning I noticed my computer was making an odd sound, it was quite.. figered it was a fan brushing up against something.. No big deal, I'll fix it later. I get back from work a couple of minutes ago and hear the same sound.. but its louder, it happens every 1-2 seconds, it sounds like a garbage disposal almost? You know how old hard drives make that that noise when your reading/writing to them or booting the computer? Sounds like that almost, but much louder?

What to do!

Hello,

Have you checked to make sure there was not wires hitting any fans? If there isnt then i would find out which Fan is causing this noise and replace it. Most likely it is on it way out.

Cheers,
Mak

Hello,

I would then advise to get a new PSU before this one fails on you.

Cheers,
Mak

Hello,

I can understand the delima. But sadly this is gonna be your only resort. Once the PSU gives out you will not be able to use the PC. It would be advised to make sure you save all your work and manually shut it down before it just quits on you. Dont know what kind of problems it shutting down on you could cause.

Cheers,
Mak

Well I think its just dust buildup or something to do with the fan inside of it.. I'll need to take it out and clean it (last time I opened it, it was FILTHY, I can clean the inside of my computer easily..but I'm always afraid of cleaning the PSU)

Its less than a year old.

I can rip the brand new PSU out of my old brisbane rig in my closet, its brand name (antec) BUT only 350W, enough? Pushing it?

Hello,

Use a online PSU calculator to find out if you would be pusing it.

Cheers,
Mak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom