eMachine T1400 Locking Up - Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have also installed the new memory. Froze within 5 minutes of installing the new memory.

I also ran the Maxtor Powermax disk scanning software. It said the hard drive was fine.

Incidently, one time I tried turning the computer off via the power button. I slightly pressed it, and it seemed to go into its normal shutdown mode (icons disappear from the desktop), but then it froze and I had to hard powerdown as usual. Not sur eif this offers more clues...

Could it be the processor itself?

Power supply?

Regardless, I think I'm running out of inexpensive fixes...

I say it could be the hardware, mostly the cpu,mobo, or power supply. It is pritty old and seems to be breaking down. I would suggest to use another cpu or power supply, if thoughs doesnt work then its time to get a new computer.

cant be the HDD, because Memtest86 runs without it. you dont even need a HDD installed to Run memtest... and since it froze for you when that was running its in no way the HDD.

thats a little disapointing that it still locks up randomely with Prime95. but at least you know its only possibly 1 of 3 things... either the CPU, Mobo, or PSU.
----------------------------------

i cant say i know what temp a northbridge is sapost to run at, but it definatly could be suspect.... just lay the comp down on its side, and temporarily just loosly place a normal fan right next to the Northbridge heatsink if possible. you could lay just a normal 80mm case fan on it or whatnot.... and then re-run Prime95 or anything and see if it locks up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom