Electric Shock from computer case - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2006, 07:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7
Default Electric Shock from computer case

Hey, me experiencing some sort of electrical problem :S:S

any metal part of the computer is electric shockin me when i am bare foot and touchin the metal part :S..

only been happenin since last wk

can any 1 suggest a test or way to determine which hardware is causing this ???

me thinkin the monitor as its VGA cable end was electric shocking me when power was on ...

neways ne help will be welcome

3Lancer06 is offline  
Old 12-25-2006, 10:18 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie
Nitestick's Avatar
Join Date: May 2005
Location: смерти для спаме
Posts: 8,473

sounds like current leakage to me. you're getting shocked because electricity is running through the case which in itself is not too big of a problem because the case is grounded. when you touch it and you're bare foot though the current passes through you and to the ground.

are you sure it's current from the pc and not just static charge from you?

Nitestick is offline  
Old 12-25-2006, 06:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7

hey, umm im sure its not from me , cuz i jst touched it again and its still sending this electrical vibe to my finger. but isnt there a grounding thing in the power plug... (the 3 ported plug).

ohhh also when i connected my digital cam via usb, the cam is mostly metal it, it send that electrical vibe from where i make contact ..

would this electrical problem damage my hardwre is ne way:S??

thanks for reply
3Lancer06 is offline  
Old 12-25-2006, 08:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 276

why isnt there a grounding pin on the powercord!?!?!?! make sure everything is properly plugged in.
- Welsh
welsh is offline  
Old 12-25-2006, 08:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Greg's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,600

Your electrical outlets might not be properly grounded, either

Greg is offline  
Old 12-25-2006, 08:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7

ohhh **** i jst relised this extension cord im using is like a cord where my dad attached a plug... mayb the grounding wired :S:S..

but i an using a 4 plug board with 3 extra hahah double adapters :P is taht bad??/

should i get an bigger board :P

ok im gonna try to use the board without the ****y homemade extension cord...

thanks guys
3Lancer06 is offline  
Old 12-25-2006, 08:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7

hey i jst removed that crappy extension cord which only had the 2 plugs wired :@ without the ground, thanks for the ideas.

everything is all good nows


3Lancer06 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:57 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.