easiest way to transfer files between desktop and laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kray

Baseband Member
Dunno if this is the right forum or not...
but I got a new Vaio from wal-mart and i'm wondering what would be the easiest way for me to transfer some of my songs and stuff to it from my ol' desktop

muchos gracias

using a network.

You might want to look at wireless. that involves a wireless card for the laptop, and for the desktop. though most new laptops today have inbuilt wireless network cards.

a PCI wireless card can cost as much as a good sized crossover cable.
and if the laptop already has a wireless card (which it should, being a new laptop and all) then you don't need to buy one for it.

Yeah, true. Either way would work.

If he's transferring large files, the wired connection could be faster though. (I think - 100mb/s over 54mb/s?)

Not arguing with ya, just giving him both options.

true, wired would be faster usually. it goes up to 1000mb/s, though I don't think many laptops use that high speed.

wireless is usually 54mb/s, but can be 108mb/s, or sometimes even faster (some netgear cards go up to 270mb/s)

b0dge said:
A Crossover cable would be cheaper than wireless (as long as both PCs have network cards).

One other cheap consideration is to purchase a USB exteranl hardrive caddy and then you can transfer files that way. I do this for my customers that want the same as you.:amazed:

I have an old laptop HDD but the laptop died. I bought a laptop to desktop HDD adapter for like 5 dollars online, and it works. I would think this would be very useful if you want to transfer a LOT of files...but if you don't want to take out the laptop's HDD and put it in your desktop then this isn't for you. Still...it's by far the cheapest way if you don't already have a network. You can also use a wireless router instead of a PCI WiFi card, just connect the desktop to the router with Ethernet and then connect your laptop's wireless to the router.

CalcProgrammer1 said:
I have an old laptop HDD but the laptop died. I bought a laptop to desktop HDD adapter for like 5 dollars online, and it works. I would think this would be very useful if you want to transfer a LOT of files...but if you don't want to take out the laptop's HDD and put it in your desktop then this isn't for you. Still...it's by far the cheapest way if you don't already have a network. You can also use a wireless router instead of a PCI WiFi card, just connect the desktop to the router with Ethernet and then connect your laptop's wireless to the router.

You don't take out the Laptop drive, you take out the IDE drive form the PC and place the hard drive in a 5.25 " external drive enclosure and hook it up to you Laptop. The otherway makes little sense to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom