e4300 comp crashing, cpu says 86c in bios??

Status
Not open for further replies.

harnar123

Daemon Poster
So right when I start the computer up, if I go into bios, it reads the cpu as being at 86c right away. Now this of coarse is not possible as I had it sitting off for a day, power it on, and right away it reads it like that... I believe it is this problem that is causing the computer to reboot itself (continually). I have made it to windows once, and it barely could start task manager (xp 32bit). I have reset the cmos, reset all default settings, checked that the cpu fan works, and checked that the heatsink is mounted firmly. I really am baffled, help? (fyi tis my sisters pc)

ok, I will do that, my sis has pulled it off multiple times to clean it 0.o. I didn't know it was possible, maybe I should get her off that stock heat sink bs!

lol fry me an egg on that thing while your at it!

but seriously, hm, what cpu/fan/mobo combo u got? also ya did she re-apply thermal paste? its actually not completely necessary on newer cpus if you have a smooth copper contact surface(if its aluminum i would def put some on), but it does help temps.

no she did not, it was one of the first chipsets for the core 2 duo series, I think it was like 965 or something from gigabyte. The fan is just the stock heat sink from Intel. I will start with new thermal paste and a decent 25$ or so heat sink. If anybody has a decent core 2 duo heatsink they want to part with for cheap ( must not have those cheap plastic push pins) let me know. I will let you guys know when I get around to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom