Dying CPU or Mobo?

Druid

Fully Optimized
One of my computers keeps crashing a little while after it loads up windows. When it turns on, one of the fans (which I've determined to be a case fan) makes a really loud noise. It eventually quiets down after a few minutes (still runs), but this is quite strange. Also, when I boot the computer up, it gives some information such as CPU temp which comes in at about 35 *C after I reboot. I don't know how quickly the cpu cools down, but I would think it isn't overheating. I have also verified that the psu is in perfect working order. What do you guys think? How can I find out which part is bad without having to replace each one and waste a bunch of money? You don't think it could be the GPU or the hdd do you?

I have no idea. I never updated it, so probably not. Why would this start happening all of a sudden just because it wasn't updated.

Random freezing can be a million reasons. If a driver updated through Windows update recently you can roll back that update. However, having your BIOS up-to-date fixes about 50% of random freezes from my experience so it's one of the first things I try.

Testing memory and hard drive are easy without replacing. Use Memtest86+ and run your memory through at least 3 full cycles (about 5-8 hours with 12GB) to make sure it isn't that. For hard drives use any one of the 100 tools out there. Check that SMART monitoring is on too.

I will try these things tonight. Hopefully the bios will fix it cause I don't think I can get it to stay on long enough for memtest.

Memtest is done at the system level, outside the OS. You put it on a USB and boot from the USB drive. It won't crash during the test. If it does, it's either a heat or memory problem.

If you have the original hard drive with that i7 920, that would make it more than 5+ yrs old, you might want to do a diagnostic check on that too. You can get a diagnostic program for dos from the manufacture of your drive and check the health status of the drive from dos mode

Ok, for the bios update, which files do I need?

TA790GX 128M :: Motherboard :: BIOSTAR

Bios update utility, bios screen utility, and chipset drivers?

I have this harddrive btw:

Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3500320AS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive - Newegg.com

I'm looking here for this diagnostic tool:

Barracuda Desktop Hard Drive Support | Seagate

I'm not seeing what you are talking about, Joe C.

The computer in question is not the one in my signature btw.

Chipset drivers aren't necessary for the update, but it's still a good idea to install the newest drivers available.

Took a quick look at the manual and your MB has a simple flash utility built in. Boards that old didn't always have an easy tool loaded. Download the manual and go to P34 to read about the utility. Download the latest BIOS file and load it and ONLY it on a USB drive. Run through the utility and you should be good to go.

Back
Top Bottom