DX9.0c giving me the $#!+s

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhunkaeG

Solid State Member
Hi Everyone, Heres my problem. If I run any game that utilises DirectX 9.0c, (i.e. F.E.A.R, Call of Duty 2, Black and White 2, Oblivion) then after playing for a while, from about 10mins to about an hour, the computer will just freeze. The music will continue in the background but nothing responds. Keyboard lock keys dont respond etc. about 10 seconds after the lockup the screen will go black and just stay that way. If i leave it black then it pretty much roots my computer. I have to remove/replace the memory and videocard to get it to start again. Otherwise when i turn it back on the computer will revv up (lights/fans and hdds) but nothing will come up on the screen (no signal detected). If I do restart it before the screen goes black then it'll just perform a standard reboot. Now, if i go into the same game and disable the DX9 graphics option the game will play and not crash at all! All other games work perfectly. 3DSMAX 8 works perfectly with an excess of 2.4mill polys. Which indicates to me that it's not the CPU overheating, but thats a laymans opinion... i'd really like to know whats goin on here?

I've tried updating all my drivers (mb chipset, graphics card, directx, bios flash) none of which impacted on the problem at all.
Uninstalled and reinstalled the graphics drivers.

I'm wondering whether my graphics card may be damaged or overheating, or maybe my psu.

These are my system specs.
AMD Althon XP 64bit 3000+ (standard cpu fan)
2 Gb Ram
ATI X800XT
Gigabyte GA-K8U Motherboard
Windows XP corp ed. SP2 (windows updates enabled)
150Gb SATA HDD
200Gb IDE HDD

I've also got a Digital TV tuner card in my PC, can anyone tell me if these cause any conflict?

The PSU came with my Lanboy 2 case. The whole system is about 2 years old now... upgraded the video card and memory about 6 months ago. I had a HDD failure a while back and had to replace one of my drives, meaning that the whole OS was reinstalled about 2 months ago. Although the HDD failure was possibly due to a powersurge.
My PC has never been overclocked as i'm a 3d artist and need stability over speed.

Whilst i'm at it i've got another question too. I've got a Logitech Media Mouse. and i've got an issue where as the on-screen master-volume bar appears maxed out and stays there, the last bar flickering on and off every now and then. very strange. I've reinstalled those drivers too... no change.

I've got Mcafee Virusscan and there are no detected issues, and i've cleaned out my computer with CCleaner, Spybot Search & Destroy, and Ad-aware Personal SE. No problems...

Not sure what the issue could be. Hope someone can help!

Cheers,
Evan

Okie dokie, any suggestions as to a decent but cheap VGA cooler? considering i dont overclock... or is it worth getting a really good one and overclocking the Videocard? what type of performance increase could i expect?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom