dvi to vga cable isent working when its connected through my laptop to monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikexmmm

Beta member
I have a monitor that is connected to my laptop with a vga cable. so i wanted to get it to work through dvi cable because its better. so i bought a div-d to vga cable. when i plug it in to my monitor and its connected to my laptop and it dosent work.. please help. i dont know anything about all of this dvi and vga thing

-i have a sony vaio VGN laptop
-i have a vizio VMM 26" monitor

first off if your laptop has VGA using the dvi cable isn't better it would be the same.... same data coming out of the laptop won't get better b4 it hits your monitor 2nd i think they only work the other way (DVI to VGA)

wait now i think i'm dumb after reading your post again i'm not sure what way your trying to do it are you trying to do it like this

Laptop -> DVI -> VGA -> Monitor
or like this
Laptop -> VGA -> DVI -> Monitor

but my comment of it not being better still stands no matter what way your going and i'll explain why in both examples

going from dvi to vga will only ever display vga quality cause the quality is scaled down when going through the vga cable

going from vga to dvi will also only ever display vga quality as the cable itself will not increase the signal quality from vga

Is the DVI connector DVI-A, DVI-D or DVI-I? This seems like a possible reason as to why it won't work. DVI-A and DVI-I are compatible with VGA because they both support analog signals. DVI-D will NOT support VGA as it does not support analog signals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom