DVI graphics card + VGA Monitor ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

tacojoethethird

Beta member
I was looking at getting the XFX GeForce 8600 GT XXX graphics card. It has two DVI connections and one s-video connection. I have a Sony flat screen monitor that only allows VGA hook-up. If I install the graphics card but hook up my monitor to the VGA port do I still benefit from the better graphics card (when playing games) or do I need to get a DVI monitor?

Thank you,
Taco

the 8600gt is a dupe card either get the radeon x1950 or 8800gts 320mb. VGA doesn't limit the power of the graphics card it is just the cabling it vga will work fine although you may want to buy a dvi monitor soon afterall vga is a slowly dying technology everything is going digital now :D

The 8600 will work for me... I'm not a hard-core gamer but I need something good enough, ya know? Not to mention I don't have a ton of money to spend. But thanks for the reply!

the 8600gt is a dupe card it is not worth the money even if your not a gamer the supposed hd benefits for a home theatre is rridled with errors, the gaming graphics performance is not comparable to other graphics cards in the same price range it is supported by its dx10 functionality alone and dx10 games aren't even out yet it is a dupe card worthless

The 8800 does take 2 slots and I don't have the room for it.

Anyways, thanks everyone for the help.

-Post closed-

really you don't have two slots??? most modern boards come with an extra large gap infront of the pci-e x16 slot to allow for the larger cards

i have a card in the pci1 slot (below the pci-e x16) and there is a small card above the the pci-e x16 slot but it's not hooked into the pci-e x1 slot... there is a cord that connects it to the tv out slot though. it has tv out ports on it so basically i have 2 sets of tv out ports and in theory i could take the above one out.

my friend bought 2 of the 8600's cause he was going to do the whole SLI thing or whatever, but never did. He sold me one, brand new, un-opened for 100 bucks. I literally don't have enough for the 8800 which i've been finding for 299.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom