DVDCDRW Laptop Drive problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kisty

Solid State Member
Ok, so here's the problem:
I have a 4 year old laptop which has done well but is on it's last legs. The specs:

Rock direct Pegasus CTS (Rock direct is where I bought it from) rock :: Welcome :: Ultimate performance gaming laptops and notebooks
Intel Centrino Pentium M 1.6GHz
Intel GME852/855 (I quote) 'Extreme Graphics'
512MB DDR RAM
40GB HDD
Windows XP Home
Sony 830E DVD/CDRW combo drive
14" Screen @ 1024x768
Not much else

Anyway, I have been having a problem with my DVD drive in that about a year ago or so, my dvd drive was not on the my computer folder and when a disk was inserted it wouldn't spin up but start to spin up and spin down three times then give up. I think itunes may be the culprit then. I then got this showing up in my computer by assigning a drive letter to it but still it would not read disks. I then decided to buy an external DVDRW drive to attempt to reformat my laptop as it was going very slow. I couldn't because my bios doesn't support USB boot and also there was no BIOS update on the web. I disabled the drive and gave up on it. About a week ago, I inserted a disk to store the disk and it was doing a different disk spin routine. I then enabled the drive and I was watching a movie, this was a DVD!! But putting in a CD it wouldn't pick it up. Now the DVD or CD doesn't work when I put in, instead, it spins up three times longer but then gives up.

I have searched for updated drivers and found the Dell one but it doesn't like Invalid drive. This isn't the 'Sony CDRW 830E' this is the 'Sony CDRW 830E JKE' or something.

I have deleted the upper and lower filters in the registry which solved something with the external drive when I tried to burn a DVD with it.

By the way the drive has DVD on it and the CD ReWriteable logo on it. And it has played DVDs fine in the past and CDs fine too.

Any help would be appreciated.

Kisty

Anyone? Is it really dead or can I do stuff in the registry or something.
Help would be greatly appreciated as I have to use this for another month or two.
Kisty

I am leaning toward the drive dying a slow and painful death. I am in a similar boat with a couple drives around here so I sympathize.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom