dvd writer problem - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 04-28-2008, 04:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default dvd writer problem

hi there I'am having serious problems with my dvd writer its a tsstcorp cddvdw sh-s203n/sata drive its showing on my computer but it wont register blank dvds when i try to burn it keeps saying insert correct media however it still plays games and cds as well as blank cds. i have tried uninstall/install rolling back the driver finding updated drivers restored my desktop to a time where it was working but yet it still didnt work. i'am using vso convertx to burn and when watching dvds i use windows media player + codecs.

I'am a mcdst and have usually the knowlege to fix this problem but i or any of my colleuges have never came across this before i would be very greatful if some1 could help and would give my services to any1 who can help thanx!!!!

Old 04-28-2008, 07:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie
Default Re: dvd writer problem

What operating system?
What burning software?
Did you try another app?
Is this the same brand of media that worked before?
Does it read any DVDs? You mentioned CDs, but not DVDs.

Old 04-28-2008, 07:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Send a message via AIM to peterhuang913

He said VSO ConvertX.

My computer uses 1.5A-load, .8A-idle, .65A-standby, .05A-turned off on 125V.
"The spaces between your fingers were created so that another's could fill them in."
Originally Posted by Norcent View Post
I need to stop using the internet.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Techie
Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE

Could be that the dvd player is nearing the end of it's lifespan. How long have you had it, and/or how much use has it had? Try testing it in another pc, just to check that it definately is the dvd drive itself that's the problem, not anything on your pc (drivers, codec etc.).
Also, if you have another dvd drive spare, put that in the pc that's having problems and see if that recognizes blank dvds. Again just to check that the system is fine.
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 04-29-2008, 07:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Maybe it had served its purpose. Maybe the writing lead had already expired. If the program and its drivers is fine, then the problem lies in the hardware. How about using other programs like nero or alcohol? Check it out if it still won't burn.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:31 AM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

thanx guy's think it could be just need a new drive think'll may even have to take it back to the shop (kinda embarrising) but thnx anyway let me know if you need any help in the future.

Closed Thread