DVD video burning trouble - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 08-28-2006, 03:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie
Default DVD video burning trouble

Not sure if this is hardware or software, but maybe someone can help.

I am using a Lite-on DVD burning. I've been encoding my own video using Nero Retail release and then burning it to DVDs. I noticed with the TDK DVD-R I have that I fail to burn like 35% of the discs. Even though Nero reports it burned correctly, I can just look at the DVD and tell if it's messed up. And when I play the DVD most work until close to the last 20-25 mins of the disc then crash. A friend of mine gave me some of his TDK DVD+R disks and every single time I used one of those it worked perfectly, and I blew through probably 30 disks!

Anyone have any ideas what I may be doing wrong? My DVD recorder lists both DVD-R and DVD+R. I don't really understand what the difference is and the +R's seem to cost more, on average.

Old 08-29-2006, 12:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

Not all media is created equal, and not all burners are going to like all of the media that you use. The fact that the DVD-R was the one that failed indicates that it is the media, DVD-R is the most commonly accepted form of media. Most newer machines now days will play either DVD-R or DVD+R without a problem, the problems most machine have now is with cheap media. This is why I stick to good quality media like Taiyo Yuden, Verbatim, and Ritec Redata.

Old 08-29-2006, 01:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

I'll try a different brand. Ironically, both of my media brands were TDK, but one was -R and one was +R. Totally different looking media though, I'm guessing the -R's were cheapies.

Thanks for the info
Closed Thread