dvd skipping issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

hdansjr

In Runtime
My sister-in-laws lap top runs an intel celeron M at 1.4 ghz. She only has 504 mbs ram available. The problem is that her DVDs skip. It doesn't matter if she's using InterDVD or the other software she's got. I put VLC on her computer and it's skipping with that too. Not only is the picture skipping, but audio is as well. What could be some issues that would cause this? I ran Ccleaner, and Hijack this, I posted the log last night and was told it looked clean. I ran spybot and she has norton, so i ran it as well. Everything's coming back clean. I'm just wondering if her Norton is just too much on her system with that small amount of memory, then when the DVD program starts up, that's whats causing the problem. Could there be anything else i'm just overlooking?

My sister-in-laws lap top runs an intel celeron M at 1.4 ghz. She only has 504 mbs ram available. The problem is that her DVDs skip. It doesn't matter if she's using InterDVD or the other software she's got. I put VLC on her computer and it's skipping with that too. Not only is the picture skipping, but audio is as well. What could be some issues that would cause this? I ran Ccleaner, and Hijack this, I posted the log last night and was told it looked clean. I ran spybot and she has norton, so i ran it as well. Everything's coming back clean. I'm just wondering if her Norton is just too much on her system with that small amount of memory, then when the DVD program starts up, that's whats causing the problem. Could there be anything else i'm just overlooking?

My daughters laptop was doing the same thing and I too couldn't understand why. Hers had vista. I thought it was vista since she too had only 512mb of ram. So I deleted vista and installed xp pro. That's when I found what the problem was. The Hard Drive!
I tried 3 times to install xp but kept getting all sorts of errors. Hard drive was gonna die.
Ended up installing a new 60gig hd and problem solved.

Check your hd for errors.

Good luck.

This only happens with DVDs right? Doesn't happen with audio files or movies you have on your hard drive or on youtube.com? Does CD audio skip also when you insert it into her drive? What Windows OS? Norton is such a system hog anyways.

The computer is running XP. The drive will play audio cds fine. YOu can view sites like youtube just fine as well. the computer is a compaq presario V2000. I just cant figure out what it would be. All drivers look up to date too.

The computer is running XP. The drive will play audio cds fine. YOu can view sites like youtube just fine as well. the computer is a compaq presario V2000. I just cant figure out what it would be. All drivers look up to date too.

It's either the hd or the dvd drive. Definitely a hardware problem. Have you tried ripping a movie to the hd and then viewing it?

I ripped a cd to the HD and it plays fine. I just don't get it. Audio CDs play fine, but the DVDs skip. t's probably the DVD drive itself isn't it? Or as i said before, i'm just wondering if Norton could be hogging the resources and it just can't play right. With only 502 mbs of ram, i mean, could that be it....you know, i'm going to stop norton at start up and see if that works. i'll reply back here with an answer.

hum...yeah, stopping norton didnt' help. I just ran a cleaning CD through the drive and it didn't help either. I'm going to try to run disk checker and then defrag one more time to see if that may help. BUt could what else can i do to see if it's the HD or the disk drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom