DVD-RW Drive Hardware issues. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 10-10-2009, 08:14 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default DVD-RW Drive Hardware issues.

Okay, so I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit, with an ASUS P5N32-E SLI Plus Motherboard, and my DVD-RW Drive is a LiteON IT LH-20A1P 20x Drive..

When I originally set up this system, it worked pretty good, pending a few wireless and graphics issues. So those proved to be a bit more of a problem than I expected, and to set them up took me a lot of updating of drivers to the motherboard, graphics cards and so on.

After this, the PC no longer recognised the disk drive, but proceeded to do a hardware update on reboot (which I can't stop from happening the moment I log on.)

It updates it with a mismatched bunch of drivers, stating it is a CD-ROM drive, and it is a 'LITEMN IT LI-20AAP' as opposed to

The problem with it is that the moment I start up a DVD, it begins to read it, then goes nuts, and whirs for a long time, without doing anything else.

If I put a CD in, it recognises track length and so forth, but does not play the actual audio at all.

So this is the final problem.. I got everything else up and running somehow, I feel very proud of that.

If I try and install the driver/firmware for this drive, it tells me that it only works for 'LITEON IT LH-20A1P' drives.

Also when I uninstall the standard 'CD-ROM' drivers (it refuses to let me tell the PC it is in fact a DVD-ROM drive), it decides to cause a reboot, followed by unstoppable install of the faulty drivers.

So here I am. Begging for help of those of you that have technical brains.

Thanks for any help!
- Brittany

Old 10-10-2009, 06:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Re: DVD-RW Drive Hardware issues.

Well, this is the problem with a new windows & older hardware. Have you gone to the liteon website & looked up the drive for computability issue's? They will be lots of hardware problems until a while has passed after windows 7 is out & about for manufacturers to catch up & make drivers for there products.

I dont recommend updating firmware if the system is having problems deciding what it is as you could corrupt it & end up with a paper weight!

I've not used windows 7 yet as a working operating system, only tested the install process but i would try & unplug the drive & get all the system working as it should & do some defragging & system clean-ups of unneeded files & what not. Then shut down, plug it back in & see what happens. But problems like this will happen to us all, only time will reveal a fix.
Closed Thread