DVD Rom wont show on my computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hobby_guy

Baseband Member
Hi so I cant get a DVD or CD to work none of the Disk that i try are scratch and the DVD Rom doesn't have a name so i cant look for a software to update.

That DVD Rom came from and older computer HP but I threw it away so i kept the DVD.
So my question is what can I do to make it work or am I pretty much screw.
Well thanks in advance and any help would be appreciated. :D

In your device manager, do you see the drive listed there under "DVD/CD-ROM drives" section? or do you see a yellow question mark?

To get to device manager.
1. From the Start Menu or from the Desktop, right-click on the Computer or My Computer icon and choose Manage from the menu. This will bring up the Computer Management window.
2. Click on Device Manager, which appears in the left-hand side under the heading System Tools.
3. You should now see a listing of the devices in your system in the right hand side of window.

Make sure the connections are snug. If this is a PATA drive, make sure you have jumper set correctly, on master, slave, or cable select.

Do you see the drive either in BIOS, or device manager as brinks said?

Could be that it's just toast. You can get a new one off Newegg for around $20.

No i just see my two hard drives and when I put a DVD it those sound like its working or its spinning and I go to (My Computer) and it doesn't show the DVD Rom only the two hard drives and the floppy disk.

In your device manager, do you see the drive listed there under "DVD/CD-ROM drives" section? or do you see a yellow question mark?

To get to device manager.
1. From the Start Menu or from the Desktop, right-click on the Computer or My Computer icon and choose Manage from the menu. This will bring up the Computer Management window.
2. Click on Device Manager, which appears in the left-hand side under the heading System Tools.
3. You should now see a listing of the devices in your system in the right hand side of window.

yeah the cables are connect it tight and secure and about the jumper I try each one but none work it couldn't get it to work. And i came across with this work BIOS when I was trying to figure it out and I'm not sure what it is.

Make sure the connections are snug. If this is a PATA drive, make sure you have jumper set correctly, on master, slave, or cable select.

Do you see the drive either in BIOS, or device manager as brinks said?

Could be that it's just toast. You can get a new one off Newegg for around $20.

If it's not detected in the Device Manager it's not going to work, so the next thing to do is check to see if it detects in the bios like MindoverMaster said.

To get into the Bios, you have to press one of these five keys when the computer starts up, F1, F2, DEL, ESC or F10 depending on the manufacturer.

Finally, if you can't even detect it in the bios, then either the drive is not installed correctly somewhere or the drive is broken.

Ok thank you ill try that. But once I'm in the page when i press the F1, F2, or F10 where do I go to check if is there. Thank you. :D

If it's not detected in the Device Manager it's not going to work, so the next thing to do is check to see if it detects in the bios like MindoverMaster said.

To get into the Bios, you have to press one of these five keys when the computer starts up, F1, F2, DEL, ESC or F10 depending on the manufacturer.

Finally, if you can't even detect it in the bios, then either the drive is not installed correctly somewhere or the drive is broken.

Look in your boo order options. Should give an option to select your DVD drive. Or even on the boot menu, and not in BIOS. If you press the boot selection key (similar to entering BIOS, usually F10 or F12), it should give you an option to boot to either your hard drive(s) or DVD drive(s). If it is not listed in either place, then something either wrong with the drive, the cable, or motherboard.

What kind of DVD drive is it? I.e. is it SATA, IDE, etc.?

Its a IDE, but I dont think is the cables or motherboard cause when I connect a CD drive it works. but ill have to check the Boot menu thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom