dvd rom/rw wont work now. advice needed please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimbo76

Beta member
For some reason, ever since i have rebuilt my pc into a new case, my dvd rom/ rw drives dont work. they are getting the power ok but my mb says they are not detected. i have changed ide cables but still no joy. i have double checked the jumper settings, 1 master and 1 slave but still no joy. in the device manager, the primary ide channel and the seconary ide channel says they are both working properly, but are not detected. i have checked the connections over and over again but still no joy. i have looked at the mb and all the pins seem to be fine, and every time i handle it, i use an anti static wrist band. so now im running out of ideas and begrudge paying for some bloke to come out and tell me what i already know. if anyone could help me with this i would apreciate the time. thank you. :)

by the way, here are my specs if needed:

cpu-pentium 4 3.0ghz
mb- elite group ECS 915X-A V1.0
hd-Maxtor 7Y250M0 250 GB
gc-NVIDIA GeForce 6600

and my dvd rom is a sony model no. ddu1613
and my dvd rw is an nec dl -+

thank you.

Hmm, try resetting the CMOS. Also if you have enough IDE cables, try putting each optical drive on its own IDE cable. Double check and make sure neither one of them are set to "cable select" or something retarded like that. Did you bend any of the pins for the jumper settings by accident? When you go to device manager have you tried clicking the "Scan for hardware changes" icon? Keep me posted, this is an interesting problem.

ok, il try the cmos reset. i cant use an ide cable on each drive as i only have 1 socket on my mb. although i have tried using 1 drive at a time but no joy still. i have scanned for new hardware and it didnt do owt either. and iv checked the pins and they seem fine. hopefully the cmos reset will work. il let you know what happens. i hope it works as i cant rest till it works 100% its driving me mad.

ok you said you wanted to know what the problem was? well get this, 1 of the pins that the motherboard sits on in the case was shorting the ide socket. simple huh! :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom