DVD-ROM Issue - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting
Closed Thread
Old 10-16-2005, 09:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Question DVD-ROM Issue

I recently purchased Black & White 2. It says on the box "PC DVD-ROM, ONLY DVD COMPATIBLE", which was no problem for me as we have what I think is a DVD Drive (it has the logo DVD-Rom and is a separate 'CD eater' to the one below with the logo "Compact Disc" which usually is the one I use for games).

Firstly, I put the Black & White 2 CD into the Disc drive (which I usually use for games), it starts making a strange noise, as if its scratching/scanning it, the only thing i could roughly describe it as is a group of grasshoppers making that noise they make.

I then tried it in the DVD-ROM drive, it sounds alot better but theres still a subtle 'scanning' noise and nothing happens.

On both occasions, i've tried looking in 'My Computer' and cleaning the disk, but nothing prevails.

I thought it must be a problem with the disc, but I gave it to a neighbour to try and they put the disc into drives on 2 computers, one worked and the other didn't, so it cannot be the disc if it works on their computer.

I believe its something to do with the DVD-ROM drive, i've put several movies into it and nothing happens, and when i try opening a movie player it just says "Insert a DVD", which is strange as at least a month ago, movies played perfectly well in the DVD-ROM drive.

Perhaps I need to install something to get it working? It cannot be broken as I have done nothing to it and it opens and closes fine, I did recently install a new ATI Radeon 9500 graphics card though.

I'd really appreciate your help with this.

Take Care,

Old 10-16-2005, 10:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Sorry for the double post but I think I may have found the problem.

If you look at this screenie, the DVD ROM drive seems to be disabled, which is obviously the problem.

I tried updating the driver, allowing it to connect the the internet update thing, but it was unable to find anything on the windows update or my computer.

I also clicked 'Properties' and it says:

This device is disabled. (Code 22)

Click Enable Device to enable this device.
I clicked 'Enable' but it says 'Windows was unable to enable this device'.

I'd appreciate your help.

Thanks. Sorry for the double post but I think I may have found the problem.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dvd rom problem.jpg (32.4 KB, 16 views)
Closed Thread